Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

1. 61
    Blackngoldbananaposted 7 years ago

Gettysburg was the site of a battle in the Civil War or "The War of Northern Aggression" as it is known in the south.  Most historians agree that it was the turning point in the war even though the war continued for almost two years after the battle.

During and after the battle, the citizens of the city remained remarkably composed while under fire.  They aided injured soldiers and buried the dead men and horses.  They fed the invading troops and some people were even financially ruined because of the destruction of their homes and farms.

Today the citizens of Gettysburg have learned to live with their legacy.  They are still beseiged by the thousands of visitors who come to see the 600+ acre battlefield.  It is a city that has retained its 19th century charm with beautiful buildings and well-kept homes. 

Its easy to get around.  Except for the reenactment weekend, the traffic isn't bad and you can walk just about everywhere.  There are plenty of hotels and bed and breakfasts and even houses to rent on a weekly basis.  The restaurants are plentiful, reasonably priced, and due to competition, good.  Its in a great location, so its easy to take side trips to Hanover, York, Lancaster, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, DC or Delaware.

My first visit was several years ago.  I didn't think I would like it, but its a magnetic place.  Maybe I am attracted to the ying and the yang of it.  Old vs. modern, war vs. peace.  I don't know, but if you can, its a great place to visit.

2. kmackey32 profile image82
    kmackey32posted 7 years ago

Why didn't you write a hub about this may I ask?