jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (17 posts)

How are you saving $$$ on travel this year?

1. LRobbins profile image79
    LRobbinsposted 7 years ago

I'm interested in knowing what people are doing to save money on travel this year.

2. illminatus profile image88
    illminatusposted 7 years ago

Instead of a 400.00 flight and additional monies for a rental, I am making an 11 hour drive. How about you?

3. LRobbins profile image79
    LRobbinsposted 7 years ago

Sounds like a good idea.  I already booked a trip to the Galapagos before the financial crisis hit, so no saving $$$ there, but plan to stay in cheaper hotels and eat at cheaper restaurants to make it more affordable.

4. HealthCare Basics profile image83
    HealthCare Basicsposted 7 years ago

Limiting travel to within the US for this year. I heard on the TV that many of the airlines have been cutting round trips prices by 50 to 65% to stimulate air travel. We are thinking of at least heading to the West Keys in Florida.

5. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

My plan to save is very simple. I'm not taking a vacation this summer!  smile

1. curiozities profile image61
      curiozitiesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hehe, that's my plan too! smile

1. kmackey32 profile image82
        kmackey32posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yep my plan too..

6. airportparking profile image60
    airportparkingposted 7 years ago

make sure that i pick the cheapest companies to fly, park, stay with. im going to actually do my research rather than just picking the easiest option - the people that TELL you they are the cheapest.

7. LondonGirl profile image90
    LondonGirlposted 7 years ago

Nothing more than we do anyway - look around for a good flight, bargain with the hotel!

8. anujagarwal profile image66
    anujagarwalposted 7 years ago

By not traveling to far-away places so that I can avoid taking flight. Instead driving to near-by places.

9. emievil profile image84
    emievilposted 7 years ago

I enrolled in a miles program in our local airline. I used the miles to get a free one-way ticket in my recent trip to Manila I saved around $60 from that trip!

10. 61
    untiedshoelaceposted 7 years ago

Go to Cancun instead of Turks and Caicos. My family is saving $12,000 by switching destinations. Hopefully I won't come in contact with Swine FLu. =]

LRobbinsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

WOW!  That's amazing.  Good to know that a slight change of destination can result in so much savings.

11. 61
    JBeyerposted 7 years ago

Canceling my cable TV and watching TV on my PC.

12. pddm67 profile image80
    pddm67posted 7 years ago

We took alot of day trips on the weekends within New York and the surrounding states. Got to do and see alot more than we would have on one vacation and did not have to pay for any overnight stays. The kids loved the "mini vacations". Rest of the time was spent at the park, pool or beach. Saved alot of money this year, thinking of doing it again next year.

13. A2shley profile image60
    A2shleyposted 7 years ago

Cashed in Points on my credit card to get gift cards for car rentals; did have enough airline miles for a full flight but it covered half; also did half a trip and half a stay-cation around my house to get some relaxation in.

And lots of bottles of wine on the porch with my girlfriends smile

LRobbinsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The cashing in points for car rentals is a great idea, since I find it's hard to have enough for a flight as well.  Wine and good friends are a great solution for almost everything smile