jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Coming to America !!

1. Lady_E profile image83
    Lady_Eposted 7 years ago

One of my goals is to visit America and/or Canada someday.  So, could you give me one piece of advice - maybe a “do” or a “don’t” for when I visit.

E.g If you were coming to the UK, I would say be careful when driving and crossing the road because we drive on the left.

Cheers. smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago

Take care of Immigration and apply for work before you leave your own country!

Often offices and automated phone lines make it extremely difficult to get anywhere fast in the U.S,even requesting the correct application forms took me 2hrs , 10 days to get to me.
    I am living in town between two cities so its not like Im in the sticks.

If you intend immigrating ,have copies(and originals) of all relevant papers, birth cert.,marriage and or divorce papers,passport, drivers license.

Cash in currency of destination. I split mine ,some cash ,some in travelers cheques, some I left in my normal bank account ( then opened a US bank account , and they do the transferring etc)..

Have enough money to get a car!,some places do not have a bus system , or its unreliable. Seriously you cant get many places without a car in the U.S,.On a positive note ,Ive walked so many miles now , I feel like Forest Gump lol

(sorry , youre just visiting, disregard most of my post then,lol)

3. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

I agree with what Kiwi said about a car, and that holds true for most of Canada and the US. Unless you're in a major city like NY or Chicago, most of the time there's little to no mass transportation. So be sure to rent a car, or do a whole lot of planning far ahead of time.

4. HubChief profile image69
    HubChiefposted 7 years ago

just posted settling in america hub from my experiences. See if it helps you in anyways. I do not know what is teh pupose of visit, settling and work or just travel.

if settling and work, then I feel my hub may interest you.

5. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

I think any tips or advice would depend on where you'd be visiting in the US.  This sounds negative, but I'd say if you're visiting any big cities ask which neighborhoods to stay away from.  How bad any "bad neighborhood" is can depend on the city.  Some bad neighborhoods aren't really all that horrible in the daytime.  There are some cities, though, that have really, really, bad neighborhoods that you just wouldn't want to find yourself in.

On a more positive note, the US has some beautiful places to see.  I guess it would make a difference if you wanted history, Hollywood, or that all-purpose, New York.  New York would probably require its own set of tips, while a city like Boston is pretty self-explanatory (except for the bad neighborhoods).  smile   It's a big country with just about whatever kind of activities/places you'd want.  Late Spring and early Autumn have the best weather in the areas that have cold Winters.  Hurricanes can be more of a problem in the South, South East, and part-way up the East coast.

6. bgpappa profile image82
    bgpappaposted 7 years ago

I think knowing where in the US you are going will get the best tips.  How to prepare for California is much different than preparing for New York.  Preparing for Northern California is much different than Southern California etc.

Having cash is always important and it is true about cars.  Bus systems and train systems are not as good as they are in Europe generally (some cities on the East Coast are the exception)

Welcome and hope you enjoy your stay