jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Has Anyone Been To Venezuela?

1. jenblacksheep profile image80
    jenblacksheepposted 8 years ago

I'm travelling to Venezuela on Monday, more specifically, Santa Elena, for a month. I was wondering if any hubbers have been there and can tell me a bit about it? I can't wait to go!!!

2. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 8 years ago

I haven't been there, but when I lived in Miami, my next-door neighbors were from Venezuela. The Mom didn't speak English, but her kids did. All I can tell you is you need to eat lots and lots of arepas. And then eat some for me. She used to make up a fresh batch every Sunday morning and she would send some over to us. Then you have to try the Pabellón Criollo. YUM!

Have a great time and take lots and lots of pictures!

3. jenblacksheep profile image80

arepas? what are they? I can't speak Spanish ... I think im gna b pretty screwed with that! I will take hundreds of pictures and no doubt write loads of hubs when I'm home!!

4. lrohner profile image84

They're pronounced ah-REE-pahs.

Go to my old blog:

http://chefmomcooks.blogspot.com/search … %20cuisine

I did a whole post on arepas a while back. They're usually eaten at breakfast or for a snack. My neighbors actually started an arepa bar in town. Think of them as little pita pockets made out of cornmeal, grilled, and then stuffed, usually with cheese but sometimes with meat.

You will LOVE the food there, trust me. They also have a dish similar to the cuban rojo viejo that is TO DIE FOR, but I can't remember the name of it. It's basically shredded beef with peppers, onions, cumin (lots of cumin) and some other spices, and they serve it over rice.

And don't forget to have a pastelito for dessert! smile

5. lrohner profile image84

Don't worry about the Spanish. You're young, so you'll pick up at least enough to get around pretty quickly.

1. Kadmiels profile image71
      Kadmielsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

well spanish can be learned by anyone who puts in the time and effort to use it correctly. this is a nice country have only heard though its one of the 4 countires i have not been to in south america and i have been to alot. but be very careful o fyour surroundings the antiamericansim there is very high so be on the look out for strange people. or may be visit ecuador smile

6. jenblacksheep profile image80

That sounds awesome. I'm a big fan of food!! hehe. As if I wasnt excited enough already! I'll check out your blog. Perhaps I will write a hub about the food when I get back!

working