jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)

Budget Travel

1. LRobbins profile image79
    LRobbinsposted 7 years ago

What is your favourite budget friendly travel destination?

My vote is for Guatemala, it's cheap, beautiful and the people are friendly.  Unfortunately getting there isn't always cheap -there don't seem to be a lot of deals on flights, from Canada at least.

1. Mary Millot profile image61
      Mary Millotposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Maybe...Rio de JAneiro! It's one the most beautiful city in the world! If you go up to the Pao de A├žucar you can have a amazing view!

2. tim-tim profile image30
    tim-timposted 7 years ago

For me from IL, it is Toronto, Canada. LOL. Love the Chinese food there. I remember two years ago, I went there driving, of course. The security guy asked me what was the reason for me to be there. I tld him I just want to go there for Chinese food. He got a good kick out of it. It isn't that cheap to go anymore with the hotel expenses. For me now, Chintown in Chiago would have to do. If you get a chance, visit my blog about that. I have lots of pictures for you to see. Thanks.

LRobbinsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes, but now the Canadian $$ is doing better smile  I've never tried the Chinese food in Toronto, will have to try it.

3. Kadmiels profile image76
    Kadmielsposted 7 years ago

I have a great hub on budget traveling in central america if you would like to take a look

http://hubpages.com/hub/10-Ways-to-Budg … al-America

Great tips!  It's amazing what you can do to save $$$ when travelling.

4. Flightkeeper profile image78
    Flightkeeperposted 7 years ago

I don't have a favorite, but I really like Buenos Aires, and the dollar exchange was great too.

5. The Rope profile image61
    The Ropeposted 7 years ago

Thailand if you are a shopper.  It's just amazing what I can get for so little.  That they've had some bad setbacks in the last couple of years has been difficult on the economy so many of the resorts and hotels have offered some really incredible deals to bring the tourists back.

Europe still has a great network of hostels and Italy is still a great backpacking country.

I'd have to agree with you on Thailand.  I lived there for 2 years and couldn't believe how cheap everything was - food, accomodation and of course the great shopping smile

6. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 7 years ago

Panama. Bocas del Toro.

7. Shasta Cascade profile image61
    Shasta Cascadeposted 7 years ago

The Shasta Cascade Region in Far Northern California is a great place to travel people on a budget.  There are tons of things to do without having to spend a lot of money, especially if you are looking to do outdoor activities. 

Beautiful scenery from lush forests to lakes, rivers and waterfalls.  You can go Birding, swimming, boating, fishing, skiing, hiking.  And if you do not wat to go outdoors much, there are all kinds of B&B's, hotels and resorts you can stay in for reasonable prices.  Museums (many of them free admissions), theatres, shopping. 

Check out www.shastacascade.com for more information.  It really is a great place to travel!

1. Shasta Cascade profile image61
      Shasta Cascadeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Check out my hubs also, there are a lot on what kind of things there are to do in the area. 

Good Luck, Happy Traveling!!

8. travelespresso profile image85
    travelespressoposted 7 years ago

Hello
    Sometimes travel is about what you do with your money rather than the destination.  I have some good money saving tips on a hub if you would like to check it out. http://hubpages.com/Cheap-Holidays-Tips
    Countries like Laos and Cambodia are fascinating and well worth considering.  There is much to do in each country.

1. Mary Millot profile image61
      Mary Millotposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes I'm agree...you don't need luxory hotels to travel, what you need is the will to know different lifestyles and culture, it doesn't mean that you habe to spend money!

2. LRobbins profile image79

I agree.  Lao is one of my favourite countries and there are interesting things to do wherever you go.

9. prettydarkhorse profile image66
    prettydarkhorseposted 7 years ago

you can try Southeast Asia? the transpo is high, but it is cheaper and surely differnt culture wise,

working