Where's your favorite place in the UK (apart from London) and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 71 discussions (98 posts)
  1. sannyasinman profile image59
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

What other places would you recommend in the UK apart from London?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi, my friend is studying at cardiff, wales and she said, it is awesome there, two hours by train to london,

2. Drew Breezzy profile image61
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

never been hmm

3. profile image0
      L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Stay away from the Midlands.
      Yes, it may be Shakespeare country,
      But it's a dung heap.

Trust me, I live there.

There is no law, no order, no working police system, no working traffic system, no decency, no decent shops. The whole area is over-rated and over priced. You will not have a good time.

Wales is alright but there is nothing to do there.
      Scotland is alright.

Central London is ok, the East End has got trendy and the West End is just plain cool.

Birmingham, Coventry, Liverpool - Horrible places.

Nottingham - Gun crime capital of Europe.

Banbury - Teenage Pregnancy capital of Europe.

Basically, go to mainland Europe. The UK is a dump. I'm planning on getting away from here as soon as I possibly can.

Hope that's some help.

Luke.

1. sannyasinman profile image59
        sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I take it you won't be applying for a job promoting the UK with the UK Tourist Board any time soon then? smile

2. bigmikeh profile image68
        bigmikehposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Let me just put the record straight..

Gun crime is at an all time low (falling by 74% between 2003 and 2006) and the tourism industry is booming.

There were a small number of high-profile cases involving guns that attracted national attention, but the problem was never worse in Nottingham than other big cities like London and Manchester.

At the University of Nottingham after a decline in applications for undergraduate courses, figures are now up. Typically, there are more than 41,000 applicants for just 4,500 places.

It's a great city - I know, I've lived there most of my life.

1. vicki simms profile image68
          vicki simmsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I must agree with you there the city is great, I live about an hour or so from Nottingham and took my family there last year to stay in a lodge in sherwood forest and it was brilliant, we went through the underground caves and into the old court rooms and cells and museum. We had a great time and it was educational for all of us. I would go straight back again.

2. profile image0
          BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

nicely put mikey smile smile

3. Dim Flaxenwick profile image80
        Dim Flaxenwickposted 14 years agoin reply to this
      4. kephrira profile image59
        kephriraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey, lay off the midlands. Birmingham is my home town and its not so bad. There are some skanky places but the city centre is nice, there are always loads of events on, some nice canal side restaurants and bars, good nightclubs and good shopping. I certainly don't see how you can call the midlands over priced and then say that London is OK.

Also Shakespeare country is specifically Startford Upon Avon, which is a lovely place to visit and have a pub lunch in a georgous old building or a picnic by the river, as are some of the small towns /  villages in that region such as Henley in Arden

4. Nell Rose profile image89
      Nell Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi, come to Marlow in Buckinghamshire, it has the best stretch of river in the UK and it is easy to get to Henley and Windsor,okay? Nell

5. Rod Marsden profile image66
      Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have heard King's Lyn is worth seeing if you enjoy a slice of rural life. Oxford also looks worthwhile checking out. I have heard you can push bike around the place. Good exercise.

1. profile image51
        nsklposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yeah kings lynn is really nice, check out olivias boutique, 2 Saint James Street, King's Lynn, PE30 5DA, United Kingdom, good shopping and affordable

6. june of ages profile image61
      june of agesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bath is lovely.  The entire city is pretty and the drive from London is nice.  Otherwise I love Oxford.  I've only been to Oxford when it's been rainy and it's still my favorite place.

7. POULOMI DUTTA profile image60
      POULOMI DUTTAposted 13 years agoin reply to this

CITY OF BATH SPA, CORNWALL, ISLE OF WIGHT & LAKE DISTRICT, CUMBRIA - ALL THESE PLACES ARE AWESOME FOR THEIR NATURAL BEAUTY.
      AND ONE MORE THING - I DON'T LIKE CENTRAL LONDON AT ALL!! THERE'S NOTHING IN THERE.....

8. profile image51
      nsklposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Norfolk is pretty good, kings lynn has some good shopping, if you're in the area pop into this really nice boutique on 2 Saint James Street, King's Lynn, PE30 5DA, United Kingdom, its called olivias. next to mr snippers barbers. its new and not like all other generic shops and all the clothes are really good prices. they do shoes bags clothes (smart and nice dresses etc) and cool jewellry.

9. Shinkicker profile image52
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Definitely Edinburgh, beautiful city centre and lots to see and do. In fact during August when the annual festival is on it's like no place else

2. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

I really like the Lake District, as you have beautiful hills, lakes and a sense of wildness that can be hard to find in the UK.  There is plenty to do like hiking, riding, sailing and fishing and some great stately homes, a zoo and an aquarium (if you like spooky try Muncaster Castle and you can ride on the miniature train at Ravenglass while you are there!)

1. Bovine Currency profile image59
      Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lakes District is a great place smile

1. Amanda Severn profile image93
        Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Lake District is really breathtaking, though it's suffered badly in the recent flooding. If you like stunning coastlines head for the West coast of Ireland, then pray for good weather! The coastline of Donegal is far more glorious than Cornwall, and it's relatively unknown by comparison.

3. retellect profile image71
    retellectposted 14 years ago

I would definitely say its the south downs on the out skirts of Brighton. You can see British nature in its true form, with the most beautiful scenery ever! Worth bringing your cameras! smile

4. Treasured Pasts profile image73
    Treasured Pastsposted 14 years ago

We really enjoyed Stratford Upon Avon and the surroundig areas. The Cottswolds are wonderful to visit and it is very central to places like Warwick Castle, Blenhiem Castle, Shakespeare country, and much more and the pople are wonderful!
    Stuart
    Treasured Pasts

5. Helen Cater profile image61
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

Bristol and Bath are great places to visit in the UK. Lots of history and very Jane Austin in Bath. I also love Edinburgh and Dublin as they have some great watering holes and lots of history. The people are really friendly.

6. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Wales is absolutely beautiful, the mountains, the castles and villages all are amazing. I spent may evenings with my wife atop the cliffs of Dover with a bottle of wine watching the ships going thru the channel. We bought a book of hikes put out by AAA and it had some great ideas.

7. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

I've only been to London myself but from what I've seen in pictures, Edinburgh is really gorgeous.

1. profile image0
      selrachposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Being a scot I would agree about edinburgh,but the highlands are to die for scenery

8. Beef -N- Vids profile image59
    Beef -N- Vidsposted 14 years ago

The airport for obvious reasons!

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

9. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Just a few of my favorites:

The Lake District around Keswick, Castlerigg Stone Circle (I have a hub about it)
    Lyme Regis
    Padstow and anywhere in Cornwall
    Chester (love the architecture and the mixture of old and new)
    Lynmouth & Lynton (hub about there too)

10. Lori J Mitchell profile image59
    Lori J Mitchellposted 14 years ago

Bath.  Definitely Bath.  I lived there one summer while taking a class at the University of Bath, and it was incredible. Aside from all of the interesting things to do in Bath it is just a short train ride to Bristol, London and Salisbury.  And I swear The George is the best pub in all of the UK.

11. Gina Coole profile image61
    Gina Cooleposted 14 years ago

Dorset is great - I love the Isle of Purbeck - lovely coastal scenary, moorland, dramatic cliffs - Thomas Hardy set most of his novels there.

KCC is right about the Lake District too!

12. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Bath

It's the city that doesn't feel like one, it's managed to retain a beauty that most cities lose to a kind of urban cesspit feeling.

13. profile image0

Every where I went in Great Britain was really great! What a neat country!

14. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

Any place that serves a cold Bass on draft

15. Temujinkhan profile image60
    Temujinkhanposted 14 years ago

Personally I would say visit the North East Sunderland and Durham are two of my favourite cities.

Out of all the places I have been London was the worst followed by Birmingham.

16. James Mark profile image61
    James Markposted 14 years ago

London, but you need to know where to go - we love it. The Lakes, even our French and Swiss friends were impressed.

The North Yorkshire Moors, Whitby and nearby villages - a great privilege to have lived and worked there. York, where we live now - lovely city. And I agree with those who recommend Edinburgh and Bath.

Nothing to do in Wales!!! Wonderful country - Snowdonia National Park, Pembrokeshire coast.

17. Dickens007 profile image61
    Dickens007posted 14 years ago

For me it is Wiltshire, it has beautiful villages , towns , places to visit  Stonehenge ,  Salisbury , white horse . And there are many other place to visit too.And the country side is   lovely too.

18. h.a.borcich profile image61
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Admittedly I have not been there, but I have seen photos of and heard Croyd is beautiful. A friend of mine from the UK shared it with me.

19. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

The West Coast of Scotland has the most fantastic scenery with high mountains, deep valleys with lush green grass smothering old rocks covered in yellow lichen, purple heather on the hillsides, rocky seashores with the occasional beautiful beach of pure white fine sand, a view of the Atlantic and the many islands of the Inner Hebrides. Southern parts of the coast have raised beaches creating steep but stepped green hillsides due to geological changes and the further north you go, you witness the old igneous rock that can withstand the pounding of the Atlantic waves. If you close your eyes you can smell the salt in the wind, hear the call of the ever-present seagulls and the constant swish-swish of the waves breaking off the shore.

Uh, do you think I'm homesick??

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

sad sounds lovely....I hope you get back.

20. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I want to go to Scottland...yay...If I have the means

21. TheFont profile image60
    TheFontposted 14 years ago

Bath is really, really stunning. I don't think anybody could be disappointed with a visit there. If you can, visit by car and explore some of the beautiful countryside nearby.

22. sannyasinman profile image59
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

I like Cornwall, Dorset, Brighton . . most of the south coast in fact.

23. beckykolacki profile image60
    beckykolackiposted 14 years ago

I loved Oxford as a place to live.  I felt so comfortable there and the shops are great, everything is so convenient.  I'm writing my hubs now about my time in Oxford.

Of places to visit, I really enjoyed Stratford-upon-Avon.  I was there around Christmastime and it was gorgeous.  There's a lot to see there and the atmosphere is wonderful.  It's also a must for any Shakespeare fan!

24. kraji profile image67
    krajiposted 14 years ago

I still haven't seen much UK but beside London I was 2 times in Cambridge and it looks nice too. All these "harry potter" smile style buildings looks amazing.

25. Bovine Currency profile image59
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

Edinburgh and Stirling, York.

26. Rebecca E. profile image77
    Rebecca E.posted 14 years ago

Northern Scotland, but also York would be nice.

I'd love to go to Coventry, never been there

27. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

The Yorkshire Dales is pretty good for a visit, i love it there, if you like sheep  sheep dogs, peace, and craft shops, this is the place for you

28. FrederickD profile image55
    FrederickDposted 14 years ago

Wales is amazingly beautiful with lots of fun things to do and see. I love the history and landscape there...

29. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

Nottingham!

I lived there for 16 years and hated it. I fled to Wales 2 years ago and feel much safer and happier there.

30. Olive Optimise profile image59
    Olive Optimiseposted 14 years ago

Penzance!!! The most beautiful part of England is definitely Cornwall. Wild coasts and and quaint villages - I love it and vow to retire there one day!

1. Steve 3.0 profile image63
      Steve 3.0posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like Penzance but if you jump on the Scillonian, it takes you to my favourite place, the Isles of Scilly.

31. Mrs. Moneypants profile image61
    Mrs. Moneypantsposted 14 years ago

Brighton is fun for a day.  Oxfordshire is beautiful.  In order to fully appreciate the UK you must go on a driving trip or a train trip.  The hedgerows are very beautiful and the small villages are quaint.  There is a lot of lovely visual history in the UK.

32. DeeBee3 profile image61
    DeeBee3posted 14 years ago

Chester, it's about 15 miles from where I live, and I'm there as much as possible.
    It's the ambience of the place, and the history, the shops and cafes are great too.
    I would defo reccommend it to any one visiting the U.K for the first time.
    It's a walled city, a complete one that you can walk along, it has a race course, a cathedral, a Roman amphitheatre, oh the treats are endless.

33. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image60
    I*n*v*i*c*t*u*sposted 14 years ago

Bath, Oxfordshire, Cornwall! For sure..
    I'd love to go to Brighton.. only heard wonderful things.

My fave in Wales is Tenby so far..

Many, many beautiful places, rich in history to explore..

1. EmD profile image59
      EmDposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cornwall definitely!

34. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Glastonbury... Centre of everything, middle of nowhere!  It is near Bath, Wells (the smallest city in the UK), beautiful Cheddar and not too far from Bristol (very cosmopolitan!).  You are not too far to Stonehenge and Avebury, of course!

I do have a hub about my hometown, but not promoting the hub, just the town...

http://hubpages.com/hub/Glastonbury-Our … asant-Land

1. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
      Hestia DeVotoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll be going there to visit this summer so I'll have to let you know what I thought when I get back.

35. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

The southern coast leading to cornwall is fab, it's called the jurassic coast as you can find fossils there. I found a few tiny fossils when I went that were not too impressive but I thought I had found a dinosaur bone from the one dinosaur that has been found on the beach I found mine on but it turned out to be well just a rock lol shucks!

36. LizzyBoo profile image60
    LizzyBooposted 14 years ago

Cambridge-I lived there for a few months. Experienced there my first big love. I love this student's town. I olso like Cambridge for its green beautifull parks. It is a town with a romantic sense.

37. KevCC profile image73
    KevCCposted 14 years ago

Shropshire, proper market towns like Ludlow with no shopping malls, great pubs with roaring log fires in winter, great scenery.
    If you go to Ludlow make sure you take tea in De Greys tearooms.

38. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Devon, it's beautiful. smile

39. William K Wallace profile image58
    William K Wallaceposted 14 years ago

I think the only city in the UK that even comes close to London as far as excitment, coolness and beauty, is the capital of Scotland, Edinburgh...I have visited there at least 20 times and never tire of the place..

40. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

As an ex-pat it is hard to avoid giving my jaundiced picture - so here are a few places I will visit again when I go back for a few weeks soon.

DARTMOOR and its PUBS

some beautiful bays along the coast of DORSET that have pubs

WALES - because I have to pick up some stuff I left there - in and out as fast as I can

CUMBRIA the prettiest big hills, lakes and views and pubs

SCOTLAND not really, just kidding

MARGATE to visit my long dead parents grave and various scenes of childhood crimes for the memory including some pubs

HEATHROW and back to China quick as a flash !

41. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

York is by far the best place I have lived, and is my favorite city in the UK.

42. premierkj profile image68
    premierkjposted 14 years ago

I've always wanted to see the lake district ever since i watched the film 'withnail and i'

1. calpol25 profile image60
      calpol25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi there I live in Carlisle on the scottish border and the lake district I have posted a hub on my city and the lakes if you wanna look?

The lake district and northern england is my favourite place

43. Rayalternately profile image59
    Rayalternatelyposted 14 years ago

I always think that Americans must view England as a miniature village; sure there's lots here but it's all tightly packed in (relatively speaking). I moan about having to drive 3 or 4 hours for work whereas the Americans I've met will do that for groceries! big_smile

So, in answer to the original question, visit as much as you can, because it's more diverse than you'd imagine. Don't expect a guided tour anywhere though, as we don't really appreciate our heritage generally. Instead, enjoy our varied accents and regional idiosyncrasies. That's where the real fun is! smile

44. profile image0

Wales. All the castles and mountains! The people we're great as well, the same every where in the UK.smile

45. kubth profile image65
    kubthposted 13 years ago

London is definately not my favourite place in the UK, which may seem strange (or not) for somebody who lives only a 20 minute train ride away. It is a great city though, and if you're visiting the UK you can't really miss it out!

North Wales is amazing for the countryside, along with other areas like Lake District, Yorkshire Moors etc

Jersey holds a place in my heart, though I haven't been back for years and hope it hasn't changed too much. Worth the short hop on a plane.

Republic of Ireland is great too, if I'm allowed to include this non-UK part of the British Isles! Amazingly friendly and hospitable people, great countryside, relatively unspoilt except for major urban areas. Visit!

46. iantoPF profile image79
    iantoPFposted 13 years ago

As a Welsh ex-pat I have to talk up my country. It's a country within the UK with a vibrant culture. There is the specifically Welsh language culture of the Eisteddfodau, the high-brow culture to be found in Cardiff and Swansea and the working class culture of the pubs and clubs. The scenery is always grand. Wales has more castles per square mile than any country in the world. The mountains are not high by American, or anyone elses standards, but the deep valleys give the illusion of high mountains. This makes the views breathtaking.
    Unfortuntaely the Welsh have never had good PR and most of what is worth visiting is still unknown to the international tourist.

47. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

There are loads of great places in the UK, and loads of not-so-great places in the UK.

If you want some beautiful scenary, pituresque villages, very friendly communities, and some great coastal towns, then I would recommend the North Yorks Moors National Park and the nearby coastal town Whitby - where the fish and chips are amazing!

If you want your history and some great architecture then Cambridge, Oxford, or York. Bath is overrated in my opinion. My own city of Norwich has a fair bit of history, although only enough to keep you amused for a weekend.

In my opinion though, if you want a bit of everything in a single city (except from the natural beauty), then you cant beat London. I prefer the off-beat parts rather than the heavily commercialised centre. Brick Lane and Camden Town, any one off trip to London must incorporate those places. Brick Lane os akin to the third world, but such a fantastically unique counter-culture.

Somebody mentioned Edinburgh, a great place to visit and to eat and drink out in. Edinburgh actually reminds me of Dublin, so if you are willing to hope over a tiny piece of sea then any trip to the UK could justify incorporating a cheap Ryanair flight to Dublin! Beer is expensive there though.

Cornwall is also fantastic, great weather and great people. Thats the place to go if you want a surf culture.

I would most like to go to the Scottish Highlands, starting with a flight to Inverness. I will do one day.

48. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

I am from Cardiff originally but I wouldn't describe it as a favourite place although I know very many people who love it and the Welsh countryside outside it is beautiful. Same goes for London and I suppose what it comes down to really is that I don't like cities much. I have written about the village of Avebury though which is one of my favourite places in the UK.

49. profile image0
    CrisKatposted 13 years ago

Anywhere in Scotland.

If you cannot go to Scotland just head out for the nearest airport. They are amazing, they can get you out of there!

50. lex123 profile image79
    lex123posted 13 years ago

I like Southport on the Irish Sea Coast, the best. It is the jewel of the North West's coastline and one of the most popular seaside resorts in the UK. My second choice is North Wales. I had been to both these places.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)