jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)

Dear all Americans

1. 0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 6 years ago

I think you are fantastic people with a fantastic government.

One might say I am naive but I believe in the American Dream.

I go to University next year where I can take a year out to study the American Culture. Then I am planning on doing a Masters Degree (in English Literature and Creative Writing - Ironic since I'm studying it in Wales) and them move to the States ----

Forgive the broard question - but - Where is a good place to live?

1. 0
      Scott.Lifeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This vast nation is full of good places to live my friend and you're right the American dream is still here, just a little harder then it was previously, why study American culture, just live it. Where you move to will really be dependent on what things you like and are interested in. Take some time to study different cities and states. There's something for everyone here.

2. 0
      Poppa Bluesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Depends on what you like weather wise and scenery wise. We have everything from hot humid heat to bone chilling cold, perpetual summer to seemingly perpetual winter. There's oceans, or mountains deserts and lush plains, lonely forests and crowded cities and everything in between. One thing to consider is the cost of living. Places like New York and California will be very high as they are high tax states. California is actually bankrupt. You'll have to do a little research first. Decide on what climate suits you best then look for other factors like culture, night life, activities, and then check the cost of living.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

hi! Have you chosen what school/university you would like to take the course you wanted? Poppa blue and Scott life are both correct, US is diverse and you can have a choice, think about the kind of life your going to have and the prices also, cost of living and tax also, plus employment opportunities if you want to also work while studying. There are lots of good universities here in the US.

4. megs78 profile image60
      megs78posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Canada smile

5. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you are coming to study (and you are most welcome), New England is where you want to be.

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I agree with Scot ~ a great place to live and yes, despite what some may say, the American dream is still alive.

Different parts of the country cost more, some areas cost less.
    I've been lucky enough to see the entire country and it is as diverse as it is big.  You're young, smart, you may love the Boston area (except it's expensive) but it has a nice new england feel and it is an intellectual area of the country, lots of great places to see and great downtown areas.

maybe look at some travel hubs of different parts of the states or just enter a google search for great places to live in America in whatever category you wish. you will find all kinds of lists of cities.

I think it's forbes.com that always has list of cities and gives a description. enjoy~ smile

3. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 6 years ago

If you are coming with a job offer, that will dictate where you live at first but don't sign a long term rental agreement so you have the freedom to move around.  If you don't have a job offer in hand, begin now reading newspapers from all across the country - you'll find inspiration and an idea of the cost of living as well as get a feel for the areas.  Seattle WA and Portland Oregon have a great number of creative writers as does North Carolina, California has a high concentration of technology expertise and English lit's expertise generally resides on the east coast, publishing's mecca is in NY and so on.  But you'll find almost every type of job available all over everywhere.  Decide on your job type and your living style then look for that info in the newspapers.

4. kree profile image60
    kreeposted 6 years ago

I really can't add much to what others have said as far as a good place to live.  However, having lived in the UK (I have family in Northern Ireland).  You may want to look south,that is if you want to get away from your cold winters and mild summers.  Personally I think the humidity of the southeast may be a bit uncomfortable for you so I suggest you try the southwest.  Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada.  For the most part the winters are fairly mild, unless you get up into the mountians and while the summers can go into the triple digits the humidity is a lot lower, therefore more bearable.  Each of those states have great universities.  Check out University of New Mexico in Albuquerque and Arizona State in Mesa, that's just outside Phenoix, to name two.

Best of luck to you

5. 0
    Justine76posted 6 years ago

There's always NEW England, like the old one, but new...

1. 0
      bloodnlatexposted 6 years ago in reply to this

And like they say, newer is better ....right?

6. 0
    lyricsingrayposted 6 years ago

In a house lol

1. 0
      bloodnlatexposted 6 years ago in reply to this

In your house

7. Cultured Commoner profile image60
    Cultured Commonerposted 6 years ago

Luke, American Culture... is that not a paradox?

8. SoftCornHippo profile image62
    SoftCornHippoposted 6 years ago

When you come to live in America may I suggest that you find a small community and live in a more rural place - this way you will more easily get to know the real American people - people who will happily share their heritage with you and inform you about the American dream and how it manifests in different regions.  If possible live as many different places as you can - not always in cities, not always in the country - as a native American, that's what I have done and it has made me a better person, more knowledgeable.  Good luck to you! Hope your good opinion of us stays with you all your life!

9. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 6 years ago

Hey Luke. So after your masters you are moving to the states huh? smile Depends on where you want to be. What kind of weather do you like? Do you like mountains, beach, desert? Do you want a fast pace or a little slower? What kinda price range? Are you looking to rent or buy? City, suburbs, or country?

I know thats a crazy mess of questions, but there is such variety here!!

10. AviationGrind profile image60
    AviationGrindposted 6 years ago

San Francisco, New York & Miami if you have a good budget.

Lower cost of living but still good quality of life
    I would pick Houston or Atlanta.

My favorite places in order:

San Francisco
    New York

11. LRobbins profile image79
    LRobbinsposted 6 years ago

From my experience, it depends on what you're looking for.  I'm Canadian but lived on the east coast in Maryland (near Washington D.C.) and loved all the culture.  I find California has a more laid back vibe while the south is more traditional, so it really depends on what type of experience you're looking for.