jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (12 posts)

USAF on the Way to Haiti

1. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 6 years ago

We just got word our son will be deploying this afternoon with the USAF Special Ops unit to Haiti.

This deployment is in support of US earthquake relief efforts and aid overwhelmed UN peacekeepers.

1. PrettyPanther profile image85
      PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That is awesome!  I bet it will be a rewarding assignment for him.

2. 0
    Will Bensonposted 6 years ago

Please communicate our thanks. We appreciate his service.

3. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

It is great that our nations reach out to help each other with these disasters. Canada is sending DART, disaster aid relief team, smile Haiti won't be left to heal, alone. Thank you to our military too.

4. Ms Chievous profile image81
    Ms Chievousposted 6 years ago

Awesome!  I bet you are proud!

5. avangend profile image60
    avangendposted 6 years ago

That is something to be extremely proud of - best wishes to the both of you.

6. readytoescape profile image60

Thanks all for responding, sorry I didn’t post sooner, I had to go out yesterday afternoon.

We are indeed proud of him, and his brother who is serving in the Army. While there are dangers involved this deployment, this is nothing like the 7 deployments our boys made to Iraq and Afghanistan.

We have not heard from him yet, and really do not expect too, but we did see some news video of his unit’s arrival in Port Au Prince. Apparently his Squadron attachment will be supporting the peace-keeping mission until the Marines arrive and he said his particular unit will be mounting Search and Rescue efforts.

7. Daniel Carter profile image91
    Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago

God speed, to you and yours, readytoescape. Please keep us informed.

8. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 6 years ago

Search and Rescue efforts have to be the most heartbreaking of all assignments.  Extreme highs when you rescue and extreme lows when all you can do is mark the site.  My prayers are with your son and his squadron.

9. motricio profile image72
    motricioposted 6 years ago

Great to see that USA has a real commitment with this situation.

10. readytoescape profile image60

Daniel & Rope,

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. My wife and I were discussing that very issue last night, and really is our main concern for our son. He acts like the tough guy, and he is, but he also has a noble heart and we fear this deployment may have more consequence on him than all the combat zones. He has always been the “hero” type and not being able to save each and every person…….we’re not sure how he will adjust to perceived “failure”.

Just a parent’s view, more worry, than reality.

11. emievil profile image84
    emievilposted 6 years ago

I second Daniel and The Rope in wishing your son well readytoescape. We have a small contingent there (like less than 200) and right now, there are still 3 of them trapped inside buildings. We went through the same thing 20 years ago and I can just imagine how the people there are feeling.

I'm pretty sure your son will do great in his job.