jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Headed to Egypt/Jerusalem in two weeks

1. ahostagesituation profile image79
    ahostagesituationposted 7 years ago

My crazy family and I are going on a guided tour (Biblelands), VERY soon any advice?

1. ilmdamaily profile image74
      ilmdamailyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

My 2 cents - Don't write off the Occupied Territories - you'll get to see a side of the area that will be very different from Israel proper, plus it'll give you access to some of the biblical destinations that might normally be off limits...though i'm not certain how to organise access at this stage...

Be aware also that having an israeli stamp in your passport can prevent travel to most arab and/or nominally muslim nations around the world - though it may be the case now that they no longer stamp passports, or you may be able to request them not to if you're planning on future travel - i'm not sure - just don't get caught out;-)

Enjoy Cairo if you have the chance - in arabic it means "the victorious" - it has to be about one of the oldest cities in the world and is a great introduction to the "megacities" of the developing world...plus Cairo is home to the oldest university in the world (al-azhar) which you might want to check out.

Other than all that - enjoy and safe travels!

2. livelonger profile image88
    livelongerposted 7 years ago

You will very soon learn what the term "baksheesh" means... big_smile

3. ahostagesituation profile image79
    ahostagesituationposted 7 years ago

ilmdamaily--sweet!  Thank you for the advice.  Awesome.  Livelonger--hilarious! I had to look that one up, but essentially--give me a tip whether or not i deserve it?? So funny.  I'll try to bring that idea back home to san francisco.

1. livelonger profile image88
      livelongerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You'll see people demanding a "baksheesh" for just about everything you can imagine.

But I thought Egypt was insane and fun, too. It is so chaotic and strange, and Cairo, at least, never, ever sleeps. (But I have never seen such grinding poverty in my life, though)

4. tobey100 profile image59
    tobey100posted 7 years ago

You'll enjoy every minute.  Relax and soak it in.  Egypt is incredible.

working