jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Well, now, itsn't that just interesting.....

1. Rafini profile image85
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

Light clouds covering the sky, temperatures hovering around 75 with slightly elevated humidity, no rain all day and the tornado siren went off!

So, I jumped up and turned on the TV to catch the weather updates and find out where the tornado was spotted and where it's headed.

Not one local channel is broadcasting anything about a tornado sighting!  Not one!  Nope, not even the local 'weather channel'.  So...has there been a tornado sighting?  Should I be concerned?  There isn't even a tornado watch on the local channels....

Rafiniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The meteorologist just came on the TV channel and said -

Funnel clouds have been reported but there are No Warnings at this time....

No sightings??  No warnings??   Why did the d@mn tornado siren go off then?? 

I tell ya, brainless people in charge can really cause a panic easily.....  lol hmm

2. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 6 years ago

well its 104 in florida with 110% humidity wana trade

no thanks!  but my son might...he likes the warmth.

(how can you stand it??  lol)

3. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

It is presently 84 degrees here with humidity at 58% and a Isolated Thunderstorm watch in effect, with a Tornado warning advisory.

a tornado warning advisory...what does that mean?  there's a tornado warning?  a tornado watch?  Here I thought these terms were the same all over the country...

1. Cagsil profile image60
        Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's just an advisory. They do not want to scare everyone by saying that it a possibility of happening. Apparently they are tracking one from outside the state of Mass, but we are going to get Thundershowers.

so...maybe similar to a tornado watch?  saying something like...a high probability of a tornado - or something like that?

Apparently we're supposed to get thunderstorms this evening too...

4. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago

In the little town I'm from the same siren is used for many things.  You have to know how many consecutive sirens means what.  I can never remember how many means what.  I just know when it goes off there is either a fire, a tornado, or a town meeting.  LOL  If it looks like bad weather, I just assume it's that.  smile

omg - that's insane!  lol  I have heard of that, though.  Like...a solid siren means this and a rotating siren means that while a 3 minute siren means something else....I think I'd keep a list somewhere, like inside a closet door - just so I'd know.  lol

5. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago

I've lived here since the early 80s, but my husband has only been here for 3 years coming from England.  Just recently, we had stopped at the store for something and then needed to stop at the post office for our mail.  They are only a couple of blocks apart.  My husband said he'd walk and I could drive the car over and we'd meet at the post office.  It just so happens that the city hall is in the block between the two locations.  As he was making that walk, they fired off the sirens and they are super loud at that spot.  I quickly looked in the direction of my husband because I knew he would probably be laid out in the street with a heart attack.  He was looking all around like a scared little bunny.  Being in Texas, we're in tornado alley and it's tornado season.  However, I looked at sky, it seemed clear, then I looked at my car clock and saw that it was 7:00 pm on a Tuesday night.  It was time for a meeting.  LOL

lol - the poor guy!  We have regular weekly tests of the tornado sirens here - every Wednesday at 12:05 pm.  The only time they don't sound them off at that hour is if there's a tornado watch.

so - I take it they don't have tornados in England?

working