jump to last post 1-19 of 19 discussions (21 posts)

Anybody in North America just feel an earthquake?

1. Greek One profile image80
    Greek Oneposted 6 years ago

.. either we just had one here (I'm in Toronto).... or someone ate a huge burrito for breakfast

1. 0
      Home Girlposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes! Indeed! I thought I was dizzy but I felt like somebody pushed walls for a sec. I am Dufferin/Finch Area Toronto! Nice! I am not crazy!!!

1. 0
        Home Girlposted 6 years ago in reply to this

May be somebody just fell from a bridge.

2. Ivorwen profile image84
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

Here is where I keep track of seismic activity:  http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/

So far, they are not showing anything for your area, but results are not immediate.

3. Christene profile image80
    Christeneposted 6 years ago

Saw a mention on Twitter from someone in New York.

4. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

nope. hmm

5. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

Wow, it was a 5.5 magnitude. Supposedly they felt it as far away as Detroit, Cleveland, Boston and Springfield. I don't live too far from Springfield, but didn't feel anything.

6. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 6 years ago

We didn't feel it here in Seattle.  wink

7. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

I heard N America gets a lot of quakes but nothing major..maybe that will change hmm hope not. My children and family are around  Toronto. yikes

8. 0
    Home Girlposted 6 years ago
  9. NaomiR profile image86
    NaomiRposted 6 years ago

I'm in NY, but didnt feel anything.

10. Dolores Monet profile image91
    Dolores Monetposted 6 years ago

Just spoke to my son who lives in Boston. He did not feel anything. But then again, maybe that's just him.

11. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

Didn't feel it here in California-- but then we are used to them and sometimes don't notice anything under 6.5

12. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 6 years ago

5.5?  That's considered an aftershock in Cali not an earthquake.

13. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

Yup, felt my chair move at work. They are now saying it was 5.0.

14. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

Gee, I'm only a couple hours from Chicago, but didn't feel anything....

15. saddlerider1 profile image59
    saddlerider1posted 6 years ago

I just spoke to a friend in Toronto, he lives on the 15th floor in his condo building, he said he felt the building sway, it was felt in Ottawa and Montreal as well. Detroit, Columbus Ohio and Albany New York reported some shake rattle and roll. Yikes

16. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

Supposedly a couple of buildings collapsed at the epicenter but no one was hurt.

17. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

I live in Chicopee, Mass and there were reports of some people within my town who felt it. There are also reported calls from several surrounding towns/cities, where it was felt.

I didn't feel anything. wink

18. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

Didn't feel anything in South Central Indiana.  Reports said that some of northern Indiana felt it.

19. mrpopo profile image89
    mrpopoposted 6 years ago

I was rocking my chair while watching the England game with my cousin, and all of a sudden some cushions which we separated on top of my dog's cage (because we're painting) started to shake.

My cousin first looks at the cushions then at me, and goes like "dude you're making those cushions shake! I can feel it from here!". And I was like, how the hell am I doing that, I'm barely moving the chair.

I thought I was just plain awesome. The cushions were shaking like crazy (I didn't feel it though). Then, I was like "I'm gonna freak my brother out when he gets home by doing this trick".

So I tried it again after the cushions stopped shaking a few seconds later, but I couldn't get them to shake at all, even when I rocked the chair violently. I thought I was just handicapped.

That proved to be true when, a few minutes later, my mom calls and asks "did you feel the earthquake?". I was like "oooooooh.... yeah", and things became a lot clearer then.

Moral of the story: things don't shake when you're 5 metres away from them and you're just rocking a chair.