jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

NYC for October

1. Alisha2010 profile image61
    Alisha2010posted 6 years ago

Taking a week break in October during the first days of the month. Anybody have any insider secrets? I booked my flight, no hotel yet. One person told me to use hotel bathrooms when in areas too far from my own hotel. Please let me know about restaurants, cool places to visit, etc. I want to experience NYC from a native perspective, not a "tourist" one. Already watching reruns of Sex and the City! Ha ha!

1. 0
      Charlinexposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Take the free Staten Island Ferry from Lower Manhatten. You can get great views of the harbor, lower Manhatten skyline and the Statue of Liberty, etc.

Here is the official website: http://www.siferry.com/

Alisha2010posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Charlinex! Will check it out.

2. leeberttea profile image60
      leebertteaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you can, stay at the Casablanca I think it's on 44th street. It's an intimate small hotel, more of a bed and breakfast that offers free breakfast, and free wine and cheese in the evenings. It's also only 2 doors down from Carmines an Italian restaurant that serves large family size portions of food that's best experienced with a group to share dishes with, but can be enjoyed as a couple.

2. lrohner profile image83
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

Geez, there's tons of stuff to do. Go find the Naked Cowboy in Times Square--he's always a hoot! Then there's MOMA and the other museums, the Broadway shows, etc., etc. One of my favorite restaurants in NYC is Plataforma--a Brazilian churrascaria. I also like the martini bar and cafe at the top of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the rooftop garden and penthouse lounge at 230 Fifth, Mario Batali's Casa Mono on Irving, the nifty brasserie La Esquina on Kenmare and Freeman's on Freeman's Alley. Oh, and just about every restaurant in Little Italy!

If you're coming in early October, be sure to get out of the city and go see some foliage. You can hop a train into Connecticut's Fairfield or New Haven county for an eyeful, or head up the Hudson River.

Cab fare will kill you, so be sure to grab a subway pass. Explore all of Central Park--there's a lot more there to do than people realize. It may be too late, but you can also try to score free tickets to some of the talk shows filled there. My kids and I have been to tons of them. There's The View, Martha Stewart, Jon Stewart, Jimmy Fallon, Rachel Ray and scads more.

Lots of the Broadway actors and actresses hang out after the shows at Bar Centrale and the Glass House Tavern, btw.

3. Alisha2010 profile image61
    Alisha2010posted 6 years ago

Wow! That was such great information. Taking notes and bringing it with me. Thanks for the help, Irohner. Greatly appreciated! I'll let you know how it goes.

4. srwnson profile image61
    srwnsonposted 6 years ago

Stay away from the GW Bridge during rush Hour.

1. leeberttea profile image60

I'd go a step further, don't rent a car, it's a liability in the city!

1. srwnson profile image61
        srwnsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree. I was in a truck, got stuck two hours after a Yankee game let out.

1. leeberttea profile image60

Well yes the Cross Bronx is always a disaster even when the Yankees aren't in town. Anyway she shouldn't have a reason to go there at all unless she wants to go to Jersey or up to the mountains.

Alisha2010posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks guys! Definitely not renting a car. I heard that you have to leave the city to see the fall colors, is that true? I was thinking about heading to jersey for that reason.

1. 0
              Charlinexposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You can find great fall colors on Long Island. It is accessible by commuting train. Ask the locals for more info.

You may want to buy a daypass (forget what it is called) which will allow you unlimited rides on the public transit system.

working