jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Papua New Guinea

1. 61
    Tonybevingtonposted 6 years ago

Having lived,worked and married there I find PNG the most fantastic place in this world.How I now survive living in the UK I do not know!
    I would return tomorrow if the chance presented itself. Certainly to live there one needs a relaxed and easy going attitude to life and the association you have with people.
    But materialism is only now rearing its ugly head.Money is only starting to become a necessity. The culture is one that died out long ago in the West.Of respect for the elderly.Of seeing that what you do can have an effect on ones family,relatives and even your community.That what you do can therefore become the reason for all these people complaining about your behaviour.Not so much as in the West where its 'none of your business anyhow!' But where its everyones business and watch your P's and Q's or they will all get on your case!
    To travel needs an attitude of patience as no departure or arrival at the given time is likely. To get angry with the papua NEw Guineans doing their job is to ask for trouble.It may be that they will now totally ignore you when you speak to them.Or the information they give will be wrong.They are public servants but expect to be treated with courtesy.,.and why not ?
    The same applies at the various Hotels and Guest Houses.But some of the most outstanding scnery and fiorests and mountains can be found there.Species are still being discovered.There are places where a white man has rarely been encountered and still causes suprise and consternation.I reccommend it !

1. heart4theword profile image61
      heart4thewordposted 6 years ago

I have never seen PNG, have heard of a few people who also, spent quite a number of years there.  Maybe you should think about writing a hubpage about it, and posting some of those beautiful pictures:)

1. 61
        Tonybevingtonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I am uncertain as to how to do that but would love to try.A photo of me taken recently on the island of East New Britain where there is a continuously active volcano

1. 61

1. 61

Seem to have made a hash of this.Apologies.About 2000 photos of all over PNG..Including the Duke of York Islans where life is much as always has been.

1. alternate poet profile image76
              alternate poetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Definately do a hub dude !!

It is really easy here - just go to make a new hub button and it is pretty much self explanatory.

2. alternate poet profile image76
      alternate poetposted 6 years ago

You should try China - the current culture retains the ancient civility and common sense that it gets by its foundation in Philosophy rather than in religion.

It retains many of the assets you describe in regard to PNG.

I am a Brit teaching here in China and am considering teaching in PNG - got any contact addresses that might actually answer me ?? smile