jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Travel to Hawaii for the First-Timers

1. Dink96 profile image60
    Dink96posted 6 years ago

We are going to Hawaii in early Spring 2011. Will be based in HNL for most of time, but would love to go to Kauai and Maui.

Do you think it's possible to fly over for say, two nights in each place?

Tips, advice, etc. greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

1. Pearldiver profile image87
      Pearldiverposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's actually far cheaper and more scenic.. if you paddle there smile

1. Dink96 profile image60
        Dink96posted 6 years ago in reply to this

LOL!!!  I'd never make it past the Salt River!  :-)

2. cascoly profile image60
    cascolyposted 6 years ago

only been to hawaii twice [we were saving it for when we get old], but after the first trip to Kauai, there was no question about where we'd go the second time -- it's much more laid back & untouristy, with great seafood in restaurants & grocery stores; lots of great, uncrowded snorkeling sites; inc4edibe variety of terrain, from desert like canyons to tropical jungles to sandy beaches.  2 nights would not be enough

we do expect we'll visit the bigisland on the next trip, but 1 day in Honolulu was more than enough [recommend seeing Pearl Harbor]

3. ExpandYourMind profile image89
    ExpandYourMindposted 6 years ago

Congrats on your trip. You can fly or cruise to any of the other Islands.  There used to be an island shuttle service, but some residents were opposed and last I heard it had been discontinued. Kauai is beautiful  -- very lush. Visit the botanical gardens while there. Expect a little longer travel time; there aren't many main roads there. Have fun!

4. pennyauctionviewe profile image86
    pennyauctionvieweposted 6 years ago

There is lots to do in Honolulu. I would recommend taking the bus. It is cheaper and you see a whole lot more. Also, you can tour the whole island taking Bus 55.

Go to thebus.org. It works like Mapquest. Bring a laptop so you can explore.

I like the historical sites myself. The Bishp Museum is a must see.

Enjoy your trip!