Any Glasgow Hubber?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (22 posts)
  1. chinweike profile image59
    chinweikeposted 13 years ago

I just moved to Glasgow for a postgraduate programme in Accounting and would like to know if any hubber lives in glasgow.

Cheers!

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not now but I lived in Glasgow for many years. In fact I drove a black hack there for 20 odd years too. Still got family there. I'll likely be passing through there next week in fact. Good luck living in the 'Friendly City'! Ps JimmytheJock doesn't live far away smile

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No I don't, thank goodness!

Nothing against Glasweigens, but I would be far too wary about walking into the wrong pub. A simple discussion about football in Glasgow turns into something far too deep for me.

I would live in Edinburgh though, even the chavs are posh there!

1. IzzyM profile image87

Have you ever been in Glasgow, Ryan?
        That's a sweeping statement about a whole city when in actual fact very few pubs are like this. Most ban football colors to avoid issues, and at the end of the day the problems in Glasgow stem more from sectarianism than they do from football.
        Chinweike, you'll be fine. You'll be with the students I imagine and all the studenty type bars and city centre bars are fine smile

1. profile image0
          ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes I have been to Glasgow, several times.

Where I have met some of the worlds nicest people and some of the worlds most dangerous smile

My dad is a Celtic fan, as his Glasweigen uncle used to take him to Celtic games quite often.

And yes, I was referring to sectarianism. Having been to both Celtic Park and Ibrox, and sat with both Celtic and Rangers fans, the whole subject sickens me - and admittedly it does really put me off Glasgow as a city. Both of the clubs, both as bad as each other.

Although I am aware that both clubs have taken big steps to tackle the problems. And yes, I am sure that he will be fine; but I really enjoy my football - and I just don't think that I would enjoy it as much in Glasgow smile

I like the city, but its the only city in the world where I would struggle to enjoy the live football.

ps. I bet its the whole Glasgow v Edinburgh rivalry that has stirred you up really tongue  For what its worth, I think that the largest city should be the capital of any country wink

1. IzzyM profile image87

LOL we used to say the difference between Glasgow and Edinburgh is in Glasgow you'll be asked if you'd like a cup of tea, while in Edinburgh you'll be told "You'll have had your tea"! They have the reputation for being miserly through there!

I can only think of only 4 or 5 pubs in Glasgow that are heavily sectarian and best avoided.

Unfortunately alcohol, dimwittedness and ingrained bigotry do made some people dangerous, but they are normally stupid enough to also wear their team colours in public so you can spot them coming.
            Chinweike, if anyone asks you what team you support, say "Partick Thistle" and you'll have no problems - you might get laughed at but you won't get problems smile

2. chinweike profile image59

Yeah, Glaswegians tend to react rather too seriuos on football matters. I almost got myself into trouble last week when i publicly announced the footbal club that i support.

Apart from that inccidence, i have been enjoying my stay here. At least for this three weeks i have spent here.

1. IzzyM profile image87

What uni are you attending?

3. chinweike profile image59

Partick Thistle? OK! Noted. Thank goodness that i applied wisdom and disappeared from the scene of the 'arguement'

4. chinweike profile image59

University of Glasgow.
    Doing My Postgraduate Study in Accounting and Finance

1. IzzyM profile image87

Hey well done! Sounds like you have a great career ahead of you smile

chinweikeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I really want to contribute my little quota to the profession and retire to the classroom

5. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Glasgow is an interesting city, and the people are lovely.  Some of the best times I had there were when the Gorbals were a dangerous exciting place for a really good night out - but that area has been dulled down to nothing and the people all moved to other areas.

I think you are a christian Chinweike - be careful they have two brands in Glasgow and they each have their football team - which is why the team you support denotes your brand of christianity. Tell them you are Church of Turkey, some of them may still remember that brand which is welcome in any pub big_smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

The Gorbals has been rebuilt. It is full of luxury penthouses and parklands now, I kid you not. They also home a large gay community because it is just over the bridge from the part of town that hosts a high number of gay bars (Bennets and the like - just up from the Trongate).
      If anyone asks your religion it is far better to tell them to mind their own business. That way they are forced to either confront the issue or back down. If they become confrontational, rest assured that if you had given them the wrong answer it would have been worse.

1. alternate poet profile image67
        alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have had many really good full on confrontational rows in Glasgow, the emotion and posturing goes way up the scale - but rarely descends to actual violence I found smile  I lived on the Isle of Bute for a couple of years and spent a lot of time in Glasgow where my brother and his vast family live.  If we could have afforded the extortionate taxi rates in Glasgow you might even have got to give us a ride big_smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

Hey I'll have you know that Glasgow taxi fares are the cheapest for any city in the whole of Europe!
          Well they were...can't really speak for the last 10 years or so since I've been abroad.

They are actually cheap especially one particular company that i have thier number.

1. IzzyM profile image87

If they are not black hacks they are not taxis. I sincerely hope you are not using the city's shady private hire trade. Their companies are run by gangsters who launder their drug money through cash businesses like private hire and ice cream vans. Their bosses (not the drivers) are just scum and I wouldn't want to think any of my money was helping to clean theirs.

Really? Thank God i followed my instinct and refuse to use one of them the first day i went city center before getting my bus pass.

Thanks for this first hand information.

6. chinweike profile image59

Church of Turkey? How? Explain more.

1. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting - I am going to put up a post to see if anyone else remembers the Church of Turkey - a denomination I still actively support.

7. chinweike profile image59

I try as much as possible to avoid any religious talk. It can breed problems when you don't bargain for them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)