jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)

Christmas overseas....where have you spent yours?

1. dosburros profile image83
    dosburrosposted 5 years ago

With the big C word approaching, im interested to hear about peoples experiences of spending christmas abroad and where they would recommend?

I once spent christmas in Cusco Peru and it was incredible. Christmas day and new years eve on the plaza was crazy with fireworks aplenty and odd traditions!

So where have you spent yours?

2. 0
    china manposted 5 years ago

China cuts straight to the chase with Christmas - no festivities except vast multicoloured xmas trees and blow up santa's around the shopping districts and it is a theme in the bars and clubs on the same lines as Halloween but with different decorations - but the shops run an all night sale.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago in reply to this

...droppin' by to say hi....evenin' CM!

1. 0
        china manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

sorry - missed this:D  evening again any time soon though I guess ?

3. vietnamvet68 profile image60
    vietnamvet68posted 5 years ago

I spent my first Chriastmas away from home in Okinawa when I was 17, when I was 18 I spent the next Christmas in Vietnam. These were the only ones I spent overseas.

4. CASE1WORKER profile image85
    CASE1WORKERposted 5 years ago

I spent 3 christmas in Singapore as a child-
    one christmas in Gibraltar and the best ever christmas in Disneyland Paris where I didn't have to cook!
    At lunch time we went into one of the cafes ordered croque monsieurs all round and I put a sprig of holly in each one- plastic of course

5. Schengenvisaguide profile image61
    Schengenvisaguideposted 5 years ago

I spent one of the Christmas holidays in Tampa, Florida.
    It was so different from my other experience - seafood dinner, Dali museum, a walk along the beach and disco at night.
    It is a place where you can try so many new things and that is why it is so memorable!

6. lindacee profile image95
    lindaceeposted 5 years ago

Coming up on my second Christmas in Uruguay. Quite a different experience with it being summer and all! Walks along the beach and fireworks like you wouldn't believe! Second only to New Year's Eve down here -- I have never experienced a fireworks display like that in my life. Looking forward to another holiday season in the southern hemisphere!

7. Moxyl profile image80
    Moxylposted 5 years ago

I spent a Christmas in Beijing 10 years ago. It was freezing cold but as it's not a public holiday there, things are just ran normally, like no shops are closed and restaurants do not have any decorations. Funny fusion feeling to spend X'mas there. GUess it's not the same nowadays smile

8. tritrain profile image77
    tritrainposted 5 years ago

Hmmm, I know I was in the Persian Gulf a couple Christmas's.

9. lilian_sg profile image82
    lilian_sgposted 5 years ago

I haven't actually spent the actual Christmas day overseas.
    But I have celebrated Christmas the week before the actual day at places like Kota Kinabalu (Malaysia), Shanghai and Hong Kong.

I felt the vibe more at KK and HK because of the caroling.

10. rmcrayne profile image95
    rmcrayneposted 5 years ago

I spent 3 Christmases in Turkey.  It was nice sharing our traditional holiday meal with our Turkish friends.  Over that time, they came to have favorite American traditional Christmas dishes. 

I also spent 3 Christmases in Germany.  One year I went home with a friend to Mexico for New Years.  She has a big family, and the New Years dinner felt like Christmas dinner. Then her family stays up most of the night taking turns telling jokes.