Best Places You've Visited in U.S. and Why?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Fluffymetal profile image76
    Fluffymetalposted 13 years ago

I'm going to start traveling across the U.S. next year, and I want to know where your favorite places are to visit in the U.S.  I want National/State Parks, camp grounds, cities, sacred sites, etc...... and why do you recommend I go there.

1. simeonvisser profile image69
      simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

New York City was quite awesome. I haven't been to anywhere else in the U.S. yet though.

2. perfectperception profile image59
      perfectperceptionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Miami is beautiful! Try Michigan, Louisiana, and MIssissippi.  All have some wonderful things to offer.  I've not camped in either place but Miami has beautiful beaches and shopping like LA and Michigan has beautiful land scaping and camping is supposed to be just as wonderful.

3. profile image0
      Charlinexposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have travelled extensively in the US. Salt Lake City was a beautiful surprise to me.

4. Kind Regards profile image66
      Kind Regardsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love New England,  the Adirondacks and Niagara Falls of upstate New York, Eureka Springs, Arkansas and the Ozarks of Missouri.  Why?  They're beautiful.

2. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
    Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years ago

I went to Hershey, Pennsylvania with my family when I was young.  The streetlights looked like Kiss candies and it just smelled like chocolate EVERYWHERE.

It was sort of like being in the Willy Wonka movie with Gene Wilder, but without the scary parts and nothing bad happened to little kids.

3. tritrain profile image71
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Decorra (sp) Iowa. 

Beautiful, hilly, amazing community.

4. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Miami Beach - apart from the beach and sun, I've never eaten so much food in my life.  Oreo cookie cheesecake, mmmm!

5. Fluffymetal profile image76

Thank you guys and gals.... got anymore.  I live in TX.. I will start my traveling from there.  even if you live in a cool place let me know... I want to visit

1. profile image50
      marty72posted 13 years agoin reply to this

wE HAVE BEEN TRAVELING COUNTRY FOR 45 YRS. BY R.V. tHAT IS THE WAY TO TRAVEL AS  HAVE SO MUCH MORE FREEDOM
      Plus no packing and unpacking
      Canyon Lands in Utah is so awsome
      Go to Colorado and get off the beaten path
      Go to a little town south of Denver and take the old mt. road called  SHELF RD. you will see wild animals
      Oh I could go on and on
      See the beautiful white sand beaches along the Miss, gulf coast
      The Canadian Rockies, in the spring has wild animals galore roaming about

2. profile image0
      Wendi Mposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are in one of my favorite states.  I absolutely love the hill country in Texas.  But some of my favorite places are:

The Kenai Peninsula in Alaska
      The Berkshires in Massachusetts
      Blue Cypress Lake in Florida
      The Lakes Region of New Hampshire
      The Outer Banks in North Carolina and
      The coast of Oregon

6. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 13 years ago

Colorado is simply amazing...mountains, wild animals and snow and that was just the view from the hotel smile

7. SomewayOuttaHere profile image62
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

i just love arizona and utah...beautiful states...well heck! all of the states i've visited are quite beautiful...those ones keep drawing me back though....

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image62
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...and travelling all along the west coast - sea side from Washington south into California is pretty nice...beautiful....i guess it depends on what you want.......

8. Happyboomernurse profile image83
    Happyboomernurseposted 13 years ago

I love Charleston, South Carolina, which has a fabulous waterfront and historical area and several outstanding plantations within an hour's drive.

Hilton Head Island, SC has miles of pristine beaches and bike trails and many great festivals throughout the year.

The city of Savannah, Georgia also has a great riverfront and historical section.

9. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I drove through 10 states in June 2003 (starting and ending in Texas) and Kentucky was the most scenic.  Started in central Texas, went through Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio and into Michigan (stayed in Detroit for a few days & visited Canada for the afternoon), and came back through Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas(about 7 miles in the tip of), Oklahoma and back into Texas.

In September of this year, I flew to Las Vegas.  I rented a car once there and drove around a bit.  Red Rock Canyon was great.  The Grand Canyon was too far for me to venture and still meet deadlines I had on the trip (business trip mixed with pleasure).  But, I was able to see parts of it from the airplane and it was incredible.

10. kingis profile image68
    kingisposted 13 years ago

I live in Illinois but I have been in the following states:
    Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, Nevada, and Arizona.  Favorite destination - Las Vegas.  It is a great place to be.  My wife and I absolutely loved Vegas.  Chicago is great and love the city.  St. Louis is pretty nice too.

11. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I've traveled throughout the US except Hawaii and Alaska. Every state has it's special and memorable places, some more than others for sure! the Pacific Coast Highway if you're going west, the Redwoods in northern CA. it's like another world.

mountains in Colorado and the Dakotas are breathtaking.
    the Grand Canyon and the Continental Divide are awesome.

Chicago in the midwest and any of the states on the Great Lakes have beautiful parks.

New Orleans and bayou country in LA. driving through the bayous is another other world experience and the food is incredible.

I live in Florida and have in no way seen everything there is to see, it's beautiful and fun, a lot of parks here also, not just orlando. you can swim with manatees in Homosassa Springs, it's amazing.

that's all for now. it's late here. enjoy your travels.

12. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Florida's beaches on the Gulf of Mexico - Cape San Blas, Anna Maria Island, Mexico Beach, Destin, etc. The sand is sugar-white and the water is crystal clear and calm.

13. Schengenvisaguide profile image55
    Schengenvisaguideposted 13 years ago

I can recommend Tampa because there are a lot of wonderful things there I have enjoyed: the Dali museum in St Petersburg,  Tampa Bay State Park, beaches and sea food restaurants.

Check this website:
    http://www.tampaattractions.com/state-park.

1. talfonso profile image84
      talfonsoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll second that! I also recommend (believe it or not) New Jersey. I bet you're not too reluctant to visit a place in this small state, with all the stereotypes about the tollways (especially the turnpike) considered.

I recommend the northwest portion of the state. It's got Wild West City, Mountain Creek waterpark (used to be dangerous Action Park), and best of all, the mountains! Check that out!

1. talfonso profile image84
        talfonsoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, and besides that, my favorite place in the state is Six Flags Great Adventure, further south! And don't be afraid of going to the Shore - if you get there earlier, you can beat the throngs of crowds!

14. kerryg profile image85
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

I've been in most of the lower 48 states and some of my favorite places include:

* Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Devil's Tower in Wyoming. For something a little off the beaten path, try Granite Hot Springs south of Jackson.

* the Black Hills in South Dakota, especially Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, and Custer SP

* Olympic, North Cascades, and Mt. Rainier in Washington State. Seattle is also a really nice city, and the little town of Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula is darling.

* Portland and Eugene, Oregon. There are lots of pretty parks in Oregon too.

* Hwy 1 down the California coast, plus Yosemite, Sequoia, and Redwood. San Diego is a beautiful city and so is San Francisco.

* Glacier NP in Montana

* Outer Banks, North Carolina

* Portland, Maine and the Maine coast. I've heard that Acadia is stunning, but haven't made it there yet.

* Amana colonies, Iowa. Iowa City is also a really nice small city - there's a great Indian vegetarian restaurant that I stop at every time I can.

* Nebraska City, NE, though it's best in fall when the apples are in season. Nebraska National Forest near Halsey is a beautiful area that's way, way off the beaten path - it's in the Sandhills, one of the most remote regions of the continental US. One Sandhills county is twice the size of Rhode Island yet has a population of 400, most of it concentrated in one small town. If you like fossils, check out Ashfall.

* I don't like the East Coast much, but if you're a history geek, you can't beat the DC area and New England. I have especially fond memories of Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Monticello. Also, Baltimore has a really cool aquarium and waterfront, and the Smithsonians are awesome!

15. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I used to live in Seattle and I love love love that city! There are some real friendly and cooky people there big_smile
    Very artsy city with all kinds of fun and weird art installations everywhere.

16. KristenGrace profile image61
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

Philadelphia attracts a lot of tourists.  Sometimes I forget about all the history here - There really are some great sights to see... Liberty Bell, Art Museum - the steps Rocky ran up tongue

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Philadelphia is a great place to visit especially for a weekend getaway...

17. Fluffymetal profile image76

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions.... Keep them coming

18. profile image0
    Rare Jewelposted 13 years ago

For me, the best place I visited ( and lived for a year) as Seattle, Washington. A very beautiful city, to me, it is the most beautiful I've seen so far in the United States. The West Coast definitely is the most beautiful part of this country.

I say check out Mt.Rainier National Park in Seattle.

19. profile image0
    Rare Jewelposted 13 years ago

I forgot also to mention Oregon and "Mt Hood". Oregon is a beautiful state with gorgeous waterfalls and mountains overall.

20. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 13 years ago

I've been all over the U.S. but there are only two places that I'd ever go back to for an extended vacation. 

First would be Chicago - there's so much history there that it baffles me.  The museums are excellent, and the city just seems "alive."  There's always something to do.  I lived there for a year and still didn't get to do everything.

The second would be St. Petersburg/Tampa area.  While not as big as Chicago (obviously), it does have a lot of history and a ton of attractions.  It's another one of those cities that never sleeps.  The added benefit to going to Florida is the fact that the state has some of the best beaches in the world - only a hop, skip, and jump away from Tampa.

And, of course, I enjoy Oklahoma.. but I think that's obvious. big_smile

21. Diane Inside profile image74
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

Since driving in the truck with my husband we have been through a lot of states now. But the mountains in washington where beautiful, Phoenix, Arizona in December, is definately different than kentucky in December, I was ready for it though as Washington in December chilled be to the bone.  Pheonix seemed to be such a clean and wide open city, compared to some as well, even thought it is heavily populated it still felt open and not so crowded.

22. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

Oklahoma because it was the first and only place i built a snowman. smile  lol

1. Diane Inside profile image74
      Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey steven drove through Austin a couple of weeks ago I waved at you. lol

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

you did?  lol.  damn, i wish i would've noticed you waving at me, as i would've waved back. i guess i must've missed you. sad

Yeah I thought you were being awful rude. But now I see you just didn't notice me. I'll try harder to get your attention next time. smile

1. profile image0

I'm sorry, Diane. sad  I promise next time I'll try harder to keep my eye open if i see anyone waving at me.

okay good it gave me complex. lol

1. profile image0

lol you know maybe you should send me a pic of what you look like, so i can recognize you the next time your in town. wink lol

okay I'll do that right now.......

1. profile image0

Anyways, Diane hows it going?  I'm glad to hear your doing okay these days.

23. Nick Malizia profile image60
    Nick Maliziaposted 13 years ago

California. Conservatives, say what you want about the people. The diversity in land and nature is what I'm talking about. It's incredible out there- nature buffet!! Haha

24. Lexe Charleston profile image53
    Lexe Charlestonposted 13 years ago

I visited Chicago last month and absolutely loved it there. It's such a photogenic city and, as I learned on my trip, it's the home of the skyscraper--the first place in the nation that a steel-framed skyscraper was built. I'd suggest doing the architecture boat tour for anyone who visits this city. You'll learn some interesting things about the city's history and you'll get to see some beautiful architecture from an interesting vantage point. Plus, they have bars and clubs open till 4am--don't get that here in Phoenix. I totally intend to visit this city again, I enjoyed it so much.

25. simeonvisser profile image69
    simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

New York City. It's the only place in the USA that I've visited and you really can't compare it to any other city. Loved it there smile

1. funaztimes profile image60
      funaztimesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

very true!

26. Edwin Clark profile image61
    Edwin Clarkposted 13 years ago

I love Key West Florida. San Francisco would be my second best.

27. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I had a great time on Cape Cod, also a fun night in Boston smile Oh and a few awesome trips to NYC. Oh, and I loved Chicago.

I would like to visit Washington, DC next.

28. philzgrill profile image64
    philzgrillposted 13 years ago

Morro Bay on the Central Coast in California, close to San Luis Obispo, is awesome.  It's a great town, very small but has lots to do with lots of great restaurants.  The whole town shuts down at night though, and you can here the sound buoey's at night.  Morro Bay rock is little above 500 feet and is a great landmark with beautiful rock formation and a nice beach to the north.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)