jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Irish Food

1. The LEAP man profile image59
    The LEAP manposted 5 years ago

We have the best beef in europe

1. 0
      sarahleeannposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure about having the best beef in Europe but after living in Dublin for 6 months I will say this; Bewley's in Dublin has the best smoked salmon. And although Guinness isn't "food" no where does it taste better than in Dubs.

2. 0
      zampanoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

looks like you have not travelled much...

1. 62
        ShortStoryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

So where is the best beef in Europe then?

3. 60
      rodkilmuirposted 5 years ago

Dublin. I've never known a city deliver so little, and charge so much, everything costs 15Euro,or 30Euro, if there are two of you. Tourist destination, my arse. They've all seen too many Barry Fitzgerald movies. Boring, boring, there is no craic, everyone talks pish. Pretentious restaurants,cafes and bars, where all of the economic migrants work. New York, Boston and Chicago are more Irish than Dublin! It's a shithole! When I was in Bewleys it was staffed by orientals, probably Chinese owned too by now.
      Celtic tiger! What a load of rubbish. Ireland expanded with grant money from the EU, and now it's spent, their banks are bust, they owe more than the whole of Ireland is worth. Their new coalition is going to renegotiate their loan terms,they're living in la la land too. The electorate have just voted out a bunch of dopes, only to vote in more! That's why all the intelligent people have gone. Probably to open Irish pubs which have become such a blight across the globe, the only thing they have in common is their mediocrity. This is only my opinion, but the impression I was left with, after a visit to Dublin last year. I thought the city had been exploited and spoiled, by small businesses selling over priced food, merchandise and an image that didn't exist. This is by far the most disappointing city I've ever visited. I would never, ever return.

1. 62
        ShortStoryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

How long were you there?

And, rugs are "oriental," not people. If you've got a problem with Chinese people maybe you should start a new thread to fully expose your 'views' there.

4. 62
      ShortStoryposted 5 years ago

How's the Shepherd's Pie in Cork?

5. know one profile image61
      know oneposted 5 years ago

I lived in Dublin for a year almost a decade ago now. I loved your soda bread, Guinness, and smoked salmon... and hot chocolate from Butlers! I cooked a lot at home and was hugely impressed with the range of food in the supermarkets. I adored our trips into the countryside where we ate excellent food in the pubs and b&b's. Good times :-)

6. 0
      ryankettposted 5 years ago

The best steak that I have ever had was in Dublin, the second best was in Tenerife (of all places).

BUT... it was extortionate. I didn't have to pay. If I had, I wouldn't have bought it. Dublin is way overpriced, it was 6 euros for a pint of guiness a 20 minutes walk away from the Guiness factory.

I get a pint of Guiness in my local in England for around 3 euros. I am in no rush to go back to Dublin.

If I go back I will explore other places, such as Cork. But the best steak in the world is not enough reason to return to Dublin, I prefer places that I can afford to drink in!

7. Amanda Severn profile image89
      Amanda Severnposted 5 years ago

I was in Ireland last October, over on the West coast in  co.Mayo. Ireland is such a beautiful country, but the financial problems there are horrendous. Everything is horribly expensive. How people on average wages manage to live there is totally beyond me.