Would you travel to Tokyo today?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (35 posts)
  1. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

If you were given a free ticket even?

I think I would go there.  But I'd be nervous about the Sushi and water.

1. SmittenWithTravel profile image60
      SmittenWithTravelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The only way I would want to go there would be to help the great people of Japan in relief/humanitarian aid...not go as a tourist or a looky-loo.

2. marwan asmar profile image66
      marwan asmarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think I would if I was invited. I woulfdn't just pack up and go......there has to be a reason

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

No, I'd wait until the nuclear problems are solved.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately you will be waiting for 30 years, cesium isotopes (the type being released) have a half life of around three decades.

I would go if it were for 3 days, and I would drink imported spring water. Radiation is four times the normal level at current in Tokyo, exposure at that level for a short period isn't too dangerous. Expose yourself to that for a few months and you are in trouble.

I expect that many people from Tokyo, particularly the wealthy, will be buying up 'holiday homes' and dissapearing for a year or more.

tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yikes!

I'm really starting to rethink my opinion of using nuclear energy.

Are the risks really worth it?

2. profile image0
      zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That means some million years...

3. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

But...free tickets.  big_smile

4. jeremytorres profile image58
    jeremytorresposted 13 years ago

No, I won't even if it's free. I am afraid of the radiation.

tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And probably justifiably so.

1. mabmiles profile image57
        mabmilesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

5. johncimble profile image53
    johncimbleposted 13 years ago

I will be going to Japan soon at the end of June. I hope everything will be ok when i visit!

I would still go there today if my trip was booked, be a bit weary though.

6. sirrot profile image60
    sirrotposted 13 years ago

I read an article in the New York Time this morning called Why We Travel.  The writer struck a cord with me because he pointed out that some of his most rewarding and enriching vacation were not the perfect ones.  They were actually the result of "hard travel".  I wrote about our experiences on my blog today.  The post was called Why We Travel Hopefully and Fearlessly.  Paul Theroux is the authors name and he said,

Tokyo may be a totally different matter but I would go.   If it were at all possible, the experience would be one you could never forget!

b

1. JapanAdvice profile image60
      JapanAdviceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely! I was there during the earthquake, my wife is currently in Tokyo with the rest of her family, and I'm headed there in June.

I agree that Fukushima is worrying, but that doesn't mean the whole country is dangerous.

1. sirrot profile image60
        sirrotposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have found this to be true of Mexico.  Any mention of travel to Mexico bring a question about cartels and murders in the street.  Most areas of Mexico are safer that the street in front of my house!

Thank you for response.

sirrot

2. johncimble profile image53
      johncimbleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is true I think. I had a trip once in Laos where I caught this really really old bus that had chickens and people sitting in the isle. I was on this for 28 hours haha, but it makes for a great story.

I know what you mean...we rode in a taxi in the Phillipines a few years ago that must have had a millions miles on it!  We could have put our feet through the floor boards.  It was an adventure!  The only other experience that topped it was a tuk tuk ride in Thailand.

7. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

I think you need a Geiger counter to go there. If we continue to build those f* nuclear plants we'll all need them pretty soon. sad

I have an A...... account.  Maybe you could buy one there.  wink

sirrot

8. Susan Ng profile image81
    Susan Ngposted 13 years ago

Yes. It is still my dream to live in Japan. big_smile Nihon ga totemo suki desu. (Translation: I love Japan very much.) smile

Nice Susan, and good luck. I lived there for over 5 years and consider it my second home. Well now it is with my wife's family being from Tokyo

1. Susan Ng profile image81
        Susan Ngposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. How was it living in Japan? smile

I loved living there and will probably live there again in the future. I was in Osaka, Shiga, and Tokyo at various different times. Now I go back mostly for extended visits to see family.

Oh, that is so nice. smile By the way, would you happen to know where in Japan this place is? smile

http://hubpages.com/u/4956824.jpg

http://hubpages.com/u/4956840.jpg

The photos are screenshots from the live action movie adaptation of the anime Kimi ni Todoke. smile

Sorry Susan, these photos are of very common things in Japan so they could really be anywhere.

I see. I thought perhaps the bridge was a landmark but I guess not. smile Thanks anyway. smile

9. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

You bet your @$$ I'd go!

I would not worry about the water(although I'd do more research to see what is safe) and def wouldn't care about the sushi, ICK!

How far I go in toward the site.. I'm not sure how much radiation I'd want to expose my body to.

10. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 13 years ago

Yes, I would travel to Tokyo if the radiation level there is around the background level for radiation. Keep in mind we are expose to radiation on a daily basis, but the radiation level is low. That is the background radiation.

11. TheBlondie profile image60
    TheBlondieposted 13 years ago

Nope. I've never thought of Japan as a fun place to go, really...I don't like the food, I'd have no idea what they were saying, and the culture shock would probably be the most intense out of anywhere else. Not to mention, the whole earthquake/tsunami thing...

1. slideseven profile image60
      slidesevenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh dear..you really have no idea of what a fantastic Country Japan really is.
      It has been some time since I was in Japan but I can tell you the Japanese are very educated and more folks there speak better English than others I have heard in English Speaking Countries.
      There are many, many more dishes than Sushi!
      Try Tariyaki beef (if you eat meat that is) and you will find it is freshly cooked and is only slightly different from a good old fashioned stew your Mom or grandma makes.
      Right now the majority of the population of Japan have no alternative to move some place else to live, and others have said in replies on this Hub -only the rich can afford to take the option of living some place else in another Country for a few years.
      Radiation is dreadful, and even drinking imported bottled water and eating imported food will not stop one from gettng effected by the air they breathe.
      Possibly the safest place in Japan (if there is one) is to move down to the extreme Sounthern islands of the Country. The Japanese (not that bunch of throat cutting fanatics of WW2) people are very good at solving solutions and will eventually get over this dreadful disaster. Thousands will die over the next three or four decades from radiation related illness as happened after the Nagasaki and Hiroshima bombs were dropped, and because of their location on the Pacif ring of fire it is most likely that tihs will not be the last tsunami or davastating Earthquake. The Japanese are used to it, and will continue to pull together as a Nation to help each other and try to live their lives as best they can.

12. camlo profile image85
    camloposted 13 years ago

I'd always wanted to visit Japan, but I certainly wouldn't now. Not even if somebody offered me a free ticket.
    It seems as though I've developed a silly phobia - whenever I see anything Japanese, I can't help thinking of radioactivity, whether people, cars or sushi.

13. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

Of course,I've always wanted to glow in the dark.

14. PierAllegro profile image61
    PierAllegroposted 12 years ago

I would  go. When Florence was hit by the deadly pestilence, the black plague, most left the city. Galileo, a famous Italian astronomer, stayed in his studio and continued to work. HE discovered that the earth turns around the sun, and that people are prompt to fits of panic. I met a woman once on a trip around the Middle East. She refused to go to Jerusalem. A person had been gunned down in the old city's center two or three days earlier. She was from New York. Now, can somebody tell me how many people get gunned down a day in New York. I'd be curious to know.

15. profile image52
    My neck is redposted 12 years ago

Didn't they just receive another earthquake? maybe not, in that case.

after searching, yes they did:
    http://www.npr.org/2011/07/10/137741272 … amp;f=1004

16. kerlynb profile image89
    kerlynbposted 12 years ago

Why not? I'd love to go!

International authorities say that Tokyo is safe from radiation.

Also, Tokyo is very cosmopolitan but the people are polite and accommodating to tourists.

Crime rate there is also so much lower than other big cities of the world.

The only downside I can think of is the cost. 

Tokyo has been repeatedly cited as one of the most expensive cities in the world, if not the most expensive.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)