jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

White Out! How many of you have experienced a white out driving?

1. heart4theword profile image62
    heart4thewordposted 5 years ago

The other day, we were driving through an area, where there was a good amount of snow!  We happen to be behind a big snow plow, and one other car.  All the vehicles were driving at normal speeds.  It wasn't snowing at the time.  All of a sudden, we had no idea what happened?  We could not see anything but white in front of us?  We didn't want to stop completely, in fear that the car behind us, would not be able to see us and hit us from the rear?  So in hesitation kept moving forward in the cloud of white, hopping the vehicle in front of us, had not stopped.  Finally broke through the cloud of dusty white snow.  All we could see in front of us, was the front end of the truck.  We figured out that there was a gust of wind that came through that particular spot, blowing allot of snow off the power lines.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this type of white out, verses black outs?

2. Ivorwen profile image85
    Ivorwenposted 5 years ago

I have been in a number of white outs.  We drove about 5 miles in one the other night, with only glimpses of the side of the road from time to time.  Fortunately, every one was going v e r y   s l o w l y.

I really hate it when it is already hard to see because the road and sky are the same color, then snow starts to blow.

1. heart4theword profile image62
      heart4thewordposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wow, what you were driving through, was much more intense!  Thanks for sharing, and so glad you made it through:)  Blessings:)

3. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

On night when I was driving my taxi, a thick fog descended but it wasn't too bad in the city streets. Then someone got in wanted to go outside of the city and I'll never forget that journey. It was a bout 15 miles away and all I could see was occasional glimpses of the white lines on the road, nothing else at all. I edged all the way at the slowest speed possible. Nightmare!

4. heart4theword profile image62
    heart4thewordposted 5 years ago

That was a nightmare IzzyM, thanks for sharing.  I bet you have quite a number of experiences to share, as a taxi driver?