jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Jellyfish ruining summer vacation at beach

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Ah, summer: the lazy, hazy time when Americans adjourn to beaches in droves to soak up the sun--and this year, at least, to get stung by jellyfish.
    More than 800 people at beaches along Florida's Atlantic coast were stung this weekend by the swarm of purple-colored sea creatures, which washed up on shore en masse, thanks to consistent east winds, according to Eisen Wicher, a Brevard County Ocean Rescue official.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookou … ch-parties
    well if the gas prices, economic downturn ,rising food prices and mortgage meltdown didn't keep you away from your vacation at the beach, the jellyfish might!yikes

1. Akbok profile image92
      Akbokposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Haha, jellyfish are such a pain in the neck.  At least the instance you referenced was an anomaly.  Here in Japan if you go to the beaches any time during mid-August you can expect to be nearly drowned by jellyfish latching on to your appendages.  Not sure if it's the same with the beaches on the Eastern side, but on the Western beaches it's torture.

2. Pamela Sarzana profile image60
    Pamela Sarzanaposted 5 years ago

Daytona Beach Florida, around Thanksgiving..dead stinky Jellyfish washed up the beach everywhere...I don't know if that happens every year at the same time or not. But...ewwwww!

3. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 5 years ago

Australia has the same problem. It used to be just the North East coast and across the top of the Northern Territory, but now they can be found as far south as Tasmania.
    A pain... literally.

4. Randy Godwin profile image94
    Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago

MMMMM!  Peanut butter and jellyfish sandwiches for everyone!  lol

5. Richieb799 profile image66
    Richieb799posted 5 years ago

Jellyfish are what kept me from testing the waters in Thailand, It was too hot for me to go on the beach anyhow, so I just walked alongside

6. Myrtle Beach Golf profile image73
    Myrtle Beach Golfposted 5 years ago

Haven't seen or heard of many run-ins with Jelly Fish here in Myrtle Beach or North Myrtle Beach. The water this time of the year is like bath water too!

http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/06/06/22 … ected.html

7. maven101 profile image76
    maven101posted 5 years ago

you are not alone...A trip to San Carlos, usually a fun and fascinating trip to the Gulf Of Mexico, resulted in  a dismal week in which visibility was minimal and the usually superb snorkeling was non-existent...Larry