jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Hilton Head Island or Myrtle Beach?

1. leahlefler profile image99
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

We're planning our first real vacation (with kids) for next year, and we want to escape the cold weather of Western NY: we were looking at the beaches of South Carolina because we can drive there in one (long) day and the weather is much warmer in that region.

We would be going in April (I know the water isn't exactly warm at that time of the year in SC, but at least it isn't snowing)!

For those who have been to the beaches in this area: which is better - Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach?

Our boys will be 4 1/2 and 6 years old at the time of travel.

2. Don Bobbitt profile image94
    Don Bobbittposted 5 years ago

Being from MB, I can give you a few things to consider:
    1- Remember that the warmth of the water at MB comes from the Gulf Stream, so you will find that although the fall temperatures are very nice, the Spring water temps are relatively cold. We natives, though, are constantly amazed by the number of people from "up North" that are out there and in the water.
    2- In April, the MB beach and air temps may swing from day to day, but it really is a great time for using a wide and warm beach and enjoying the sun.
    3- As to entertainment for the Kids? MB is loaded with options that you will not find at HH. I do recommend that you check out the major attractions at MB, and see if they offer any discount coupons, before you go there. There are big savings out there, you just have to look.
    4- Thinking about it, HH, although a beautiful run-away for adult golfer's and boaters, is just more expensive, with less options than MB for a family with kids.
    5-I recommend that you log onto the local "Sun-Times" newspaper site in MB, and watch for specials on Condo rentals, golf discounts, restaurant discounts, etc. That's what the locals do to save a buck.
    Anyway, good luck on your decision.

3. livewithrichard profile image84
    livewithrichardposted 5 years ago

I lived near Charleston, SC for 8 years and frequently visited both Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach. 

First, Hilton Head is 10 times more expensive than MB and it is less family friendly.  Myrtle Beach has 10 times the activities than Hilton Head and in April it will be packed with Spring Breakers.

IMO Charleston would be a better choice than either HH or MB.  MB is about 2 and a half hours north of Charleston and HH is about an hour south so you could enjoy all 3 great destinations.

The hotels around Charleston are not really resort types and can be quite expensive but you will not find a more fun and historical destination (see my hub on Charleston) but considering the ages of your children, they would probably have more fun in MB.

4. leahlefler profile image99
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

Thanks for the excellent feedback - MB would probably be the better choice for our boys - we're looking at driving from the Buffalo region, and MB is an hour closer than HH. Plus, the cheaper hotels in MB are a big plus for us.

How bad is it with the college Spring Break crowd? We aren't looking for a "college party destination," but more of a family friendly area.

I figured the water would probably be fairly cold, but our kids are used to swimming in the icy water of Chautauqua Gorge, so they would think it was balmy, lol!