if you wanna travel in China, where do you get info for your plan?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (23 posts)
  1. ixbag profile image61
    ixbagposted 12 years ago

if you wanna travel in China, where do you get info for your plan? what would you resort to?
    websites, books, magazines or travel agency? If you do, could you recommend some? and what kind of service do you want most? thank you very much.

1. BobMonger profile image59
      BobMongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

China is an enigma for most travelers. My good friend Gregg is an exploration geologist and recently spent some time there. According to him you are on your own when you get there. He was in China working for the Chinese government and they either didn't know or wouldn't say much about the areas he was going through.
      But if you want to have some fun-go to Google Maps and list China as your starting point and Taiwan as your destination. Instruction #43 will make you laugh-and also give you some idea of what you're dealing with.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd also contact recommend1, a hubber here who lives in China and would not doubt be able to offer some good information.

1. recommend1 profile image60
          recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't see this thread till now.  I can give you loads of info if you contact me and so can Fordie the other hubber mentioned here who lives just up the road from me - and his wife is a travel agent.

2. SiddSingh profile image59
        SiddSinghposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Isn't it "swim across the Pacific Ocean"?

1. BobMonger profile image59
          BobMongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I saw that and thought, "someone at Google is either a frustrated comedian or a hopeless cynic."

2. Borsia profile image40
      Borsiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One thing nobody has mentioned, including me, is that you have to get a visa in advance to enter China. I think you can still go into Hoing Kong but in mainland China if you don't have a visa you can't enter and there is no way to get a visitor stamp.
      I don't think it is very expensive, about $100 if I remember right.
      It will take about 3 weeks.

2. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

This hubber has some useful hubs on the subject http://fordie.hubpages.com/

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I hope it is ok to post this ad-free, travel info link.

http://www.websitewithnoname.com/2011/0 … using.html

That is a useful site for embassies etc,  another good place to start a holiday in China is at my place -
      http://www.learningchinaholidays.com

4. profile image0
    fordieposted 12 years ago

Thanks for the plugs ...

I see the op has been banned

Hi Fordie - we were in your neck of the woods with friends in the national holiday week - on the very day it p!@@ed down with rain all day big_smile  It was just too much to think of doing anything except drink beer out of the rain.

Next time -

Is your hotel finished yet ?

1. profile image0
        fordieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes - I stayed at home with the two boys and their cousins most of the week

The hotel is open. You must drop by and take a look, next time ...

5. cosmicdust profile image60
    cosmicdustposted 12 years ago

China is a very interesting country and lots of history. For advisories, health and visa requirements, what to expect and updates of any country its best to visit travel.state.gov.

6. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 12 years ago

I lived in China for 2 years 2007+8.
    You can find everything online usually.
    Going to I suggest Cathay Pacific (upper end) or Air China (lower end)
    Most of the time you will either hub off of Hong Kong or Beijing. Both good airports HK is easier to understand.
    To get info for a particular end destination start by Goggling the city then look for local hotels. You will save a bundle since they are about 1/3 the price of the big chains. You do have to be careful so that you get good quality. The Chinese idea of comfort is far different but they do have great hotels.
    I have a couple of articles on my website SmartSafeTraveler.com If you know exactly where you want to go email me through the site and I'll see of I can find something in the way of a source.

The biggest problem in China will be the language. Once you are in the mainland don't expect to find anyone who speaks much English.

7. beijing driver profile image61
    beijing driverposted 12 years ago

Hi,All of the concerned about China's tourist friends
    Traveling to China is becoming more and more popular and relaxed.
    China has more than five thousand years history and culture, there is a lot of world cultural heritage and beautiful attractions.
    Could you please tell me , Do you have any travel plan to visit China?
    When will you spent your vacation or holiday in China? Which City will be your prefer to visit?
    I would like to be your guide here .
    If you do not have any idea about how to visit Beijing China , please visit : http://www.bestbeijingtours.com
    I am sure you will get some fun.

Ready to go?
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5846525_f248.jpg

8. Edwin Clark profile image62
    Edwin Clarkposted 12 years ago

I'm planning to visit Kunming China the coming February 2012. So far I've been checking with tripadvisor as well as heading to book stores and reading lonely planet. I'm really excited and can't wait to go because I've heard so much good things about visiting Kunming and will be reporting about it here on hubpages.

9. beijing driver profile image61

Hi,Edwin Clark
    I knew a good travel company they can offer tours for you when you come to visit Kunming.http://www.yunnantrip.com/

In China if you want hire a tour guide , you 'd better check out first .
    If you have other question , please let me know.

Do the guide have certificated?

Here is the sample of tour guide certificate passed by Chinas National Tourism Administration

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5848342.jpg

1. Edwin Clark profile image62
      Edwin Clarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Beijing driver! I'll be sure to check out the website.

10. Steve LePoidevin profile image60
    Steve LePoidevinposted 12 years ago

Well, I have lived here in Wuhan, China for the last four years. Between myself and the friends I work with, we have visited quite a bit of the country. As already mentioned, the big problem will be the language but it is still easy enough to get around despite that handicap. Stay away from the big hotels and airlines. Head for the hostels and Chinese hotels, there are lots of good ones in all the major tourist areas. Shanghai and Beijing are nice but there are a lot more interesting places to see. Book flights in the country through elong.com, the Chinese equivalent of expedia. If you wave your mouse around at the top you will find the link for English menu! And don't be afraid to eat the street food, you'll save a ton of money on food!

11. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Hi Steve - I lived in Wuhan for a few years, now in Guilin.

The best place to start any Chinese tour or holiday is to spend a week or two with us at Guilin http://learningchinaholidays.com/ where you can learn enough 'get you by' language and how to get fed and around in China - before tackling the daunting prospect of railway and bus booking, finding your way around etc.

12. beijing driver profile image61

For most foreigners, even though they live in China, but for a thorough understanding of the Chinese people's lives are not enough
    Surely this would require a long time, and depend on your Chinese level
    You may be a one-sided understanding through the one thing, but you want to further understanding of, must blend in the ranks of the Chinese people

I guess you are talking abaout getting to know China - the problem is that a foreigner is not likely to know everything and a Chinese is not likely to know what foreigners want and how they see things.  This is especially significant when a visit may only be a week or two in total.

The answer is to start with meeting cultures in a friendly and co-operative situation rather than face to face in the street with no help or support.  With just a little understanding and language the new culture becomes easier to grasp through experience.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)