jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Who has been to Luxembourg?

1. MJFenn profile image32
    MJFennposted 5 years ago

Bear in mind that there are two places called Luxembourg (actually three).

There is the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Its capital is also called Luxembourg, or Luxembourg City.

Then there is also the Belgian province of Luxembourg.

F D Roosevelt received the exiled Grand Duchess of Luxembourg during World War Two; the Battle of the Bulge was fought partly on Luxembourg's territory; a substantial part of the the US Air Force's transport command is based in Luxembourg. The Grand Duchy has longstanding and extensive links with the United States.

1. manlypoetryman profile image72
      manlypoetrymanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Who has been to Luxembourg?

Me!

MJFennposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Did you go to Luxembourg City only, or did you manage to visit other places as well? It's a fascinating country, anyway.

1. manlypoetryman profile image72
          manlypoetrymanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I enjoyed it! We (I was with a large group-UWP Cast D) spent the day travelling through it, put stopped off at a really fantastic old place (can't remember if it was an old castle...?)out in the country. The whole country was beautiful.

The stop was a short rest stop break and a chance for alot of folks to come together (we met up with another large group there-UWP Cast B-Fall 1986)...while everyone was on a wonderful journey. So...I know all have the same great feelings for Luxembourg...that I do!

There are many castles in Luxembourg; among the most impressive is in Vianden, high on a hill above the town, near the border with Germany.

2. profile image0
    Wilfionposted 5 years ago

The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, only has a population of half a million, yet has the world's highest GDP per capita.

Yes, it's steel industry has been highly developed since the 19th century. The banking sector, however, has become a large employer. In some ways, Luxembourg is the like the Switzerland of the European Union.

working