jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What do you think of the Greeks?

1. way2gogreece profile image62
    way2gogreeceposted 4 years ago

Greece has been receiving all sorts of negative publicity, due to the financial instability problems. Does that meen that Greeks are no-good? Did you have a good or unpleasant experience with greeks, either in Greece or elsewere?

2. 2uesday profile image89
    2uesdayposted 4 years ago

I have traveled to Greek islands and have always enjoyed the time I spent there. The Greek people work long hours in the tourist season. Many of the businesses such as restaurants are family run and it creates a nice atmosphere.

I feel sad for the Greek people for what they are going through at this time because of their economy. I believe if they can they will continue to provide good quality holidays at reasonable prices.

If I can I will visit Greece again. Friends have said they are worried about the costs when they arrive on the islands in future, because we know that the people of Greece are having to pay more for things now. But we are not worried that the Greek people will treat us differently because of their crisis, as we believe they will continue to smile for us because they want us to enjoy our time their and to return one day.

I have never traveled all inclusive as I like to support the local hops and restaurants when I travel.

1. way2gogreece profile image62
      way2gogreeceposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Very positive and forward looking comment! Being greek, I acknowledge that what you say is true. The economic crisis has hit greeks very hard, but tourism has seen a 10% increase in 2011 so far, so, if anything, the sun is still shining over the greek islands.

Hotel prices have, actually, gone down in 2011: you can find real bargains, while many hotel owners understand that quality should not suffer, despite the financial woes.

Supporting the local shops is a great attitude, 2uesday, and a terrific way of discovering the real Greece: "all inclusive" is a sure way of isolating the visitor from the country.

3. 2uesday profile image89
    2uesdayposted 4 years ago

Thank you - I have never visited a Greek island that was not beautiful and each one has its own places to explore and discover. You can have the best of all with a holiday to the islands - sit by the pool or on a beach or explore the local towns/villages and surrounding islands. There are still islands I have not visited but want too and then others that I hope to return to one day.

Seeing dolphins and how blue the sea is in Greece and so many different shades of blue, exploring old historic sites and enjoying the local food are some of my memories of my visits.