Will the Carnical Cruise ship Accident keep you from taking cruises?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

In light of the stupid mistakes of the ships crew and captain of the carnival cruise ship, would you cancel any future cruises?
    I think I would think twice about it.

1. Randy Godwin profile image62
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd rather fly!  Don't like being a captive audience nor do I love food that much!  A floating buffet for some!  smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not in the slightest. In fact I'm more likely to go on a cruise than before.

You can bet all the cruise lines are scrambling to beef up their safety programs in the wake of this, so for the next year or so, cruising will be safer than ever!  The cruise companies have become complacent in recent years because there have been so few incidents - many have stopped requiring guests to do lifeboat drill with lifejackets, and some don't even bother having a practice muster, just showing a video instead.  They'll all be going back to doing full lifeboat drills and taking them seriously - and no captain will dare deviate from the official set course, as this one appears to have done.

In spite of all that, I'm sure there will be a lot of cancellations on cruises this year so I'll be able to get a bargain!

2. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

The concept of a cruise has never attracted me in the slightest. If I have a certain amount of time to spare for a holiday away, I want to spend it in interesting places rather than hanging around on a ship. If I simply want to read and eat, I can do that at home.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WriteAngled, I went on my first cruise last year, and it was wonderful.  I'm one of those who was leery of being stuck on a ship, eating too much, but it was nothing like that.  The secret is to choose an itinerary where you arrive at a new port every day or every second day, then the boat just becomes a floating hotel.  It's like going on a coach tour, but you don't have to pack and unpack every day, so you're much fresher and better able to enjoy the sights.

Our 11 day cruise visited Messina, Athens, Ephesus, Crete and Rhodes and we had a full day in each port - plus two full days in Istanbul. That was quite enough interesting places for me!

3. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

Life is full of risks tongue even a airplane will crash hmm I would still go on a cruise because no 2 captains n crew are the same big_smile

4. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

Anyone who is a traveler will not anything stop them from traveling.  This includes disasters.  Life is about taking risks.  I took my first cruise shy of 9/11.  I've taken other cruises since then with my husband.  In fact, there's a cruise of Hawaii coming up this year.  Cancel a cruise or any travel plans?  You've got to be kidding!  If I've got the money, Honey, I'm spending every last dime on travel.

5. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

I cruised around Cape Horn with my Step Father a few years back with NCL, and it was amazing. We went to so many wonderful places, Santiago, Chile, Argentina, the Falkland Islands, Buenos Aires, etc. I loved it, and the ship was so huge it was easy to get lost on it. I highly recommend these as a holidays, and no, the recent 'accident' wouldn't put me off at all, not least because so far it appears it could well have happened as the result of a Captain 'showing off' to a friend on the shore and risking the ship and the passengers and crew by taking it very close to the rocks in order to 'wave' at his friend ashore. Additionally this cowardly Captain left the ship before everyone else was safely rescued, (one of the worst crimes any Captain can commit!) Apparently this particular company also have other 'accidents' in their history according to my Step Father. How on earth would it be fair to judge other cruise liners against this one based on all that information?

Edit: I still rate my chances of getting into the sea in one piece from a cruise liner far higher than my chances of getting to sea in one piece (and alive) from a crashing plane.

6. glendoncaba profile image74
    glendoncabaposted 12 years ago

No.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)