Is buying a campervan for traveling Europe a good idea ?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (25 posts)
  1. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 12 years ago

We are a mature couple wanting to spend a few months traveling Eearope and Britain from this September hopefully .( I am from Wales & traveled a bit there ) . We love the idea of buying a cheap campervan so we have our own accommodation and transport . Has anyone else done this and do you have any tips for us ? Thanks

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Although I am more than knowledgeable about such travel here in the US, I can't advise you on RVing in your part of the world.  I wonder if it is anything like over here at all in the way of campgrounds and other conveniences? smile

ccccooooxxxxx0000OOOOO(:c-<

2. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it is a brilliant idea!

I wish I'd bought one of them when I had the money!

The only thing I can think of to warn you about (because I know people have campervans in Europe), is to be very wary about where you park up the night, because thieves abound everywhere, especially on those motorway service stations that allow you to stay the night.

A light sleeper in the party would be advisable, either that or a sawn-off shotgun (only joking!!)

1. Hollie Thomas profile image59
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Izzy, I wish I'd bought a camper van when I had the money. They're also VW's and built to last. Go for it. But, as Izzy says, like anywhere in the world, you need to be security conscious.

2. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image61
    ThussaysNanaMarieposted 12 years ago

I don't know about buying a campervan but I sure envy you. I think it might be a comfortable way of travelling.

3. cebutouristspot profile image78
    cebutouristspotposted 12 years ago

I think its a wonderful idea having your own accommodation is a convenient but like everything else you need to research and planning to make the trip a success.

4. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 12 years ago

Thanks for the advice ! Am looking into it as there is so much to see and do over there !

5. Single With Kids profile image60
    Single With Kidsposted 11 years ago

A fabulous idea!!!  I love my campervan and have travelled widely in the UK in it - occasionally on the back of a breakdown truck but that's part of the fun. Wild camping's difficult in England and Wales but allowed in Scotland where you can find the most fabulous spots to overnight, with an uninterrupted view of the ocean and isles, and sharing your space only with a couple of Aberdeen Angus :-)

I notice this thread's quite old so you may have already been and gone by now, but if not there are literally loads of hints and tips, including some great forums I can direct you to for advice (I suspect I can't do that in this post?).

Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have a campervan? I'm so envious, I would love a campervan, if I had one there'd be no stopping me.

6. Single With Kids profile image60
    Single With Kidsposted 11 years ago

It's old, a bit ramshackle and my kids are mortally embarrassed by it, but I love it!  It's got to the point where the AA have ditched me for spamming their call centres and having their operators drive me off into the sunset and long road home, but for me it's a lifestyle and the saviour of my summers...and winters...and indeed any other weekend I can squeeze in.

Although the old 1960's style VW buses can cost a fortune now (or be complete rust buckets), the 1980's VWs  (known as T25 or T3) are still available at reasonable prices and conditions, you just have to stop yourself spending a fortune on Cath Kidston for the inside....

My kids, when I say kids they're 15 and 20 years respectively, would be mortally embarrassed if I were to drive a campervan (they've told me so when I daydream about the possibility) but it wouldn't stop me. And, as my 20 year old son still wants to come on holiday with me he'd have to like it or lump it.

I also daydream about how I'd make the interior really cosy! My cross border collie would no doubt love the opportunity to get away in a campervan, too!

1. Single With Kids profile image60
        Single With Kidsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My spaniel loves it!

At least at 15 & 20 you wouldn't have to share the van, the kids are more likely to leave you to it. Mine are still at the age where they're conscripted into a summer full of camping weekends which they look forward to with the same relish as a visit to the dentist ;-)

Do check out VW T25 Campervans if you're ever looking - there are some great vans around and a very active community too.

Believe me, singlewithkids, if you feel at some point in the future that your kids will leave you to it, you're very much mistaken. They might turn their nose up now, but all those weekends you've spent with them and all that fun that didn't think they were having will later materialise into "Where we going this weekend/year, mum?"

I bought a car in February, not a new one but a few years old, I couldn't possibly afford another vehicle at the moment, but....I'm working on it. smile

7. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

We havent been yet but making plans now for March next year ! I love the idea of your campervan . saves so much money !

8. kcg2946 profile image62
    kcg2946posted 11 years ago

Oh, I think you would love it! Many years ago, when we were newly married and living in Germany, we tent-camped all over Europe. We stayed in hotels in the big cities, just for convenience (always a walk-up, el-cheapo), but even in Florence, we found a camping ground which overlooked the city.

I think that if you plan your travels, stay in campgrounds (many of the villages have their own), plan to walk a lot, you will be just fine! And you will meet so many nice people along the way! I highly recommend this to you! We would do it all again in an instant! Good luck and Safe Travels!

9. tabrezrocks profile image47
    tabrezrocksposted 11 years ago

I think it is a very good idea

10. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 11 years ago

Just remember that petrol and diesel is quite expensive in Europe! ( and of course UK too)

1. freecampingaussie profile image62
      freecampingaussieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The good thing is the distances are far less there than in Australia !

11. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

The caravan club might be a useful site to look at not sure how much it costs to join but they give advice on good sites to stay at and I think you get discounts etc.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/expert-adv … motorhome/

12. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 11 years ago

It may be possible to ship a used vw campervan from Australia to England and make a very decent profit. I think 1970's vw campervans are now highly collectable. So after your travels you could sell up and cash in. Best of luck.

13. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

We are leaving next month & will have 8 days in Singapore on the way ! After Europe/Britain we are heading to the USA/Canada & Alaska!
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7381060_f248.jpg

14. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 10 years ago

Update - We bought a campervan in London & are having a great time exploring Europe ! We are in the Algarve - head towards Barcelona etc soon !

15. bydojo profile image58
    bydojoposted 10 years ago

GREAT NEWS! Enjoy your trip and write many hubs wink

We're planning on getting a van in the next 3-4 years. It's a dream of ours to be able to take 2-3 months off (not that we haven't already done this) and just go into a looong trip. Hope I'll have such great news one day smile

16. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 10 years ago

We are having a fantastic time- Now in Greece loving it ! Keep in mind you can free camp in some beautiful places !

17. Don Bobbitt profile image84
    Don Bobbittposted 10 years ago

FYI, In my camping travels I have met people who buy a nice (but small) motorhome here, and have it transported to Europe. There they sell it (via a broker) after they vacation in ot, and make a decent profit on their money.  Just a thought you might look into.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)