jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (14 posts)

Do you defined yourself as a traveler or as a tourist?

1. CorinneCanada profile image60
    CorinneCanadaposted 4 years ago

Both are great to be, just travelers tend to go more off the beaten paths and mingle with local culture, doing local stuff. Tourist tend to stick to the tourist trail and interact minimally with locals. So which one are you?

1. Agantum profile image60
      Agantumposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have tried both.  As a tourist, I sometimes need a break and a fully serviced resort with everything layed on is the pampering I need.  As a Traveller, I might plan half a trip on the internet and then navigate the local transport, accomodation and activities, this is far more rewarding.  It helps to take at least a short course in the culture and language before making the trip. 

I think there is a different fitness level required for these options and we all have our ups and downs, I would like to keep travelling, but I would settle for being a tourist.

I was travelling in Freemantle, Western Australia and took a tour to the old prison.  I would call this a touristy thing to do, but I still get a great memory.

(This picture was taken at a visit to Freemantle Prison.  These drawings were discovered after the prison discontinued operation, under the whitewashed walls of a cell.  James Walsh was a 19th century forger, he used charcoal and would draw on his cell walls at night and cover over his artwork before it could be discovered in the morning.  Every wall of his cell has scenes like this.

2. travellingvagrant profile image61
      travellingvagrantposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I would definitely consider myself a traveller. A traveller, I see as someone who not only visits a new country or area, but immerses themselves in the culture, as a tourist is more likely to simply see the sights and sample the cuisine. But it truly depends on how a person spends their time in new places that would define them as travelers or tourists.

2. karthikkash profile image90
    karthikkashposted 4 years ago

I am a tourist as well as a traveler. When I have enough time to stay in a particular place, I mingle very much with the local places and prefer to visit the local haunts. When I am there for a very short time, then I prefer to go to the most commonly visited places.

3. jacobreeves profile image60
    jacobreevesposted 4 years ago

I would say the difference lies in the activities you undertake whilst you're on your trip, as well as the whole ethos behind your excursion. Tourism makes me think of older couples with cameras around their necks and 'I HEART NY' T-shirts. Travellers make me think of young kids with dreadlocks and flip-flops bumming around Thailand. Either are excellent ways - at the end of the day, you're still seeing the world!

4. cathymack profile image59
    cathymackposted 4 years ago

I think it's important to immerse yourself in the culture when you travel and try to see the destination through the eyes of the locals by engaging in their customs and lifestyle. In my opinion, this is ultimately what makes you a traveller versus a tourist who are generally more interested in checking landmarks off a list.

5. Thelma Alberts profile image82
    Thelma Albertsposted 4 years ago

I think I am more of a traveler than a tourist sometimes, as I wanted to be one of the locals engage in their customs and traditions. I've always wanted to be a part of them as a common people. To know them well.

6. AfricaResource profile image86
    AfricaResourceposted 4 years ago

Certainly a traveller, there is a distinct difference, a traveller is someone who visits a wide range of places and immerses themselves within the local culture whereas a tourist simply visits 'hot spots' within countries and doesn't worry about to much about local interaction.

7. Suhail and my dog profile image87
    Suhail and my dogposted 4 years ago

From you definition, I will be a tourist, but I know I am not.

When I am in other countries, I am usually hiking, kayaking, canoeing, dog sledding and going off the beaten path, but I am surely not mingling with the inhabitants of that region and I am certainly not getting involved with them in any way. I am just enjoying my outdoor activity, observing local flora and fauna and taking lots of pictures.

So I am not sure whether I am a traveler or a tourist lol.

8. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 4 years ago

I have always been a traveler down the road of my life. I will never be a tourist.

9. 0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 4 years ago

Both.  It all depends on my mood and what I have to work with.

10. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

I think of myself as a traveler,when I visit new places. Sometimes I do some "touristy" things but it's better to try to see the locals as is[/b]

11. Bill Yovino profile image91
    Bill Yovinoposted 4 years ago

I've been both. Age and health have a lot to do with it. When I was younger and working for an airline, I would get on a plane without any reservations - literally and figuratively. I would use public transportation and ask the locals where to eat and what to do. I had some very interesting adventures, many of which I can't mention in polite company. Now, on the other hand, I enjoy cruises and their take on travel, which is like seeing the world from your living room.

12. mijikoy profile image60
    mijikoyposted 4 years ago

as a traveler