Holidaying in India? Here are the best places to visit in India!
Seventh Wonder - Taj Mahal!
India's tourism industry is booming with new opportunities and government support. Every year millions of foriegn visitors visit India. India is well known throughout the world for it's culture, heritage - both manmade and natural, Famous buildings and wonders of the world. Yes, India has the seventh wonder of the world which recently got the status on 07-07-2007. The climate of India is variable. In the North i.e Jammu-Kashmir, till Delhi you get extremes of climate. The climate of Delhi is similar to that of Austin, Texas in USA. To the south it's mostly warmer except at coastal cities which have pleasant and excellent climate, not too hot or too cold in summers or winters respectively. Mumbai the financial capital of India has pleasant climate but the effects of global warming are seen now as heavy rainfall in short span of time can flood the city in rainy seasons bringing the city to a halt. Also Tsunami's at the south-eastern coast of India is another reminder of Nature's fury causing devastation of both life and property.
Since ancient times India had many rulers. The famous of them were Mughals who came from central Asia. The most famous king being, Akbar who unified almost whole of India. Shah-jahan, his heir built the Taj Mahal in memory of his beloved late wife Mumtaz Mahal. The Monuments built by these rulers are still in good conditions but they need to be preserved well. So when visiting India look out for the following :
- The Taj Mahal : Built at Agra, in Uttar Pradesh, on the banks of river Yamuna. Seventh wonder of the world. Made of pure marbles. Shah-Jahan, the ruler who made it got cut the hands of the labourers so nobody could remake the Taj again. Taj-Mahal is visited by almost every visitor. So don't forget to visit it.
- The India gate and Qutab Minar : The India gate and Qutab Minar are in New Delhi. Built by the Mughals, they are the pride of Delhi.The India gate leads to Rashtrapati Bhavan (the quarter of President of India). As Delhi is the seat of power of India, during Independence day the parade takes place at India gate in presence of high dignitaries. The Qutab Minar is a tall building like a tower.
- The Gateway Of India : Situated in Mumbai, the financial capital of India. It is also the most happening city of India. The Gateway of India is at the coast of Marine Drive in the heart of Mumbai city. The Elephanta caves and Mahalaxmi temple of Mumbai are also famous.
- The Charminar : The Charminar of Hyderabad is yet another important places to visit. Built in the heart of the city, it is the most famous monument of Hyderabad along with Ramoji Film City and Golconda Fort.
- Bodh Gaya Temple : Buddha attained enlightenment at Bodh Gaya near patna in Bihar. The temple is built there which is a pilgrimage for many Buddhist's. It' an ancient city from where Buddhism started.
- The Dal Lake : Jammu and Kashmir is famous for the scenic beauty and one part of that beauty is Dal lake. The lake gets frozen in winters and can also become a playground for ice hockey however government has banned it.
- The Sun temple at Konark : The Sun temple at Konark is an ancient temple. It has beautiful carvings of the god's and godesses depicting various scenes. The temple is near Bhubaneshwar at Orissa.
- The Toy Train of Matheran and Mossourie : The Toy Train of Matheran and Mossourie started their maiden journey at the start of the century. The trains have been included in UNESCO Heritage sites of the world.
- The Thar, Great Indian Desert : India has the only desert situated in Rajasthan. Rajasthan has many historical monuments built by the Rajputs. The various tribes living there are original inhabitants of India.
- Goa : Portugese, English and French merchants came to India throught the sea route and landed on the west coast of India, many of them at Goa. Many ancient churches and munuments can be seen which have european touch in them. Goa also has excellent climate. The sea food, cruises and friendly people of Goa also is a reason to visit this wonderful place.
- Ajanta and Ellora Caves : The caves situated near Aurangabad in Maharashtra are the most sought after destination site in Maharashtra. The caves has excellent scriptures of Hindu gods and godesses, human and animals made by people of ancient India.
- Darjeeling, Mahabaleshwar, Ooty : Darjeeling is a hill station in West Bengal state, Mahabaleshwar is a hill station in Maharashtra. Ooty is in Tamil Nadu. These Places have cool climate in summers, so is a favourite destination to get rid of some heat.
- Golden Temple : The golden temple at Amritsar is an important place for worship for the sikhs. The ten Guru's of sikhs are worshipped and followed in this place.
- Aligarh : A scenic place near Mumbai, Maharashtra is an important spot of destination.
- Andaman & Nicobar island and Lakshwadeep island : The Andaman Nicobar Islands are in Bay of Bengal, south of Bangladesh. The scenic beauty of the islands, the original aborginees and natural habitat for many animals are key highlights to visit. The Lakshwadeep islands are placed south of Arabian sea near Kerela. It's another hot spot for tourist destinations.
- Gir forests and Tiger reserves : Gir in Gujarat is the only place where Asiatic Lions can be found. The forests are protected from poachers, however you can take a safari and walk on land with wild lions. The Forests reserves for tiger are mainly at Ranthambore, Corbett and few others where tiger is protected. The best place to watch a tiger is riding an elephant however you are not allowed to walk on land as many tigers have been known to be man-eaters.
These are only the best places to visit. There are ofcourse many more but if you visit India excluding religious places, you must visit these places. The tourism industry is booming in India. It's a great place to spend your holidays. It's also the best way to know the culture of true India!
More by this Author
Sharks don't usually attack humans. We are not their natural prey. We get attacked because we resemble some of their prey and the shark makes a mistake in murky waters. For example we look a lot like a seal swimming in...
These are the world's most dangerous, deadly snakes for humans: Find out about the habits of each snake, where they live, and how to avoid them.
Any of these animals can be the number 1 toxic on earth as it's very hard to judge them. They all contain different toxic chemicals which can kill a human in minutes. So i have rated them based on how much dangerous...