North Central Nebraska (Sandhills region) Tourist Information
From Ainsworth to Valentine Nebraska
A large region of Nebraska, the North Central, is referred to as "The Sandhills". Here you will find History and Heritage, as well as Wineries and Unique Sites. See the breathtaking change of scenery as you travel from the grasslands to the Sandhills, and the wetlands..
You may also want to drive the Scenic Byway 2, which runs from Grand Island to Alliance, Nebraska. It has been named one of the 10 most scenic routes in the Nation.
Attractions are listed by City, which are in Alphabetical Order, and does not contain every City in the Sandhills. Stop by as many of the small towns as you are able and experience Nebraska hospitality and friendliness.
Ainsworth Nebraska-Nenzel Nebraska
- Ainsworth Wind Facility: 213 Foot towers with 164 ft. Turbine rotors which provide Keya Paha (Lakota for Turtle Hills) County part of it's energy supply.
- 2 Museums: Sellors Barton ; Log cabin with many historical items. Also Coleman House which features antique clothing, books, geneology files and more.
- Once featured on Ripley's Believe it or not, the worlds smallest Courtroom and
- Strawbale Church (made in 1928 from straw) Both attractions have a note on the door, telling you where you will find the key!
- Without leaving home you can see the Historical Society website: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~necuster/
- Custer County Historical Society: Featuring artifacts from Pioneer life. Also get information about Historical Cemetaries
- Calamus State Recreation Area: Sand beaches, swimming, boating and fishing. Open year round
- Fort Hartsuff State Historical Park: Restored 1870 Infantry Post.
- Dream Weaver Cabin: Enjoy Calamus Lake, tour the Tea Gardens or the butterfly garden. Loom using natural fibers!
- Nebraska National Forest: More than 90 Acres of hand planted forest. Panoramic view from the Lookout Tower. Hiking, fishing and more
Sandhills of Nebraska Pictures and Prints
O'Neil Nebraska-Valentine Nebraska
- Gooselake Wildlife Management Area: Camping and fishing, no permit required.
- Historical Society Museum: Information on the namesake, General O'Neil and the Kinkaid Act.
- Buffalo Ranch: Ride a wagon out to see Buffalo. Paddleboats, canoe trips and more.
- Howard County Historical Museum: Several attractions in one! A Tribute to mystery writer Jean Potts; Veterans Exhibit; Authentic Pioneer Church and more!
- Miletta Vista Winery: Beautiful Scenery, interesting Winery.
- Spirit in the Wind: Experience Native American Life by Staying in a tipi and attending Cultural sessions. personally highly recommended
- Snake River Falls: Scenic spot on the Niobrara. Beautiful Area
- Smith Falls State Park: Another Scenic spot. Cross a historic bridge to Nebraska's highest Waterfall. This is a must see. Breathtaking view.
- Niobrara National Scenic River: Cliffs, canyons, Ponderosa Pines, and home to such wildlife as turkeys, turtles, deer, kingfishers and great blue herons.
More by this Author
It's funny the things we can see when we travel. Not only are we surrounded by new sights, views, scenery and nature, but we have the opportunity to check out local quisine. Often, more often than you may think, you...