Six Travel Safety Tips for Women Traveling Solo
It's an incredible world out there, just waiting for you to explore it. Safety is a concern for everyone, no matter who or where they are, but it can be a special concern for women traveling on their own. But staying safe does not mean staying put. It just means using common sense like you would at home, and adding a few of these extra precautions to make sure your travel adventure is full of fun, not fear.
Safety tips for women traveling solo
- Do Your Research. Know where you're going, how you plan to get there, and how you plan to get back. Ask at your hotel or B&B for advice. Is the subway safe? Should you grab a cab? Only choose marked, licensed taxis. Crowds are good, but pay attention to what's happening around you. If someone is watching you, or looks suspicious, wait them out in a store or cafe.
- Dress Respectfully. Shorts and a tank top may be perfect in the Australian outback, but not on a Vatican tour, or in the Cairo market. Dressing inappropriately will not make you more comfortable, it will make you stand out, and can turn you into a target. To figure out the best travel clothes to take, look at how other women are dressed, and try to blend in. This doesn't mean you need to wear a veil in a Muslim country. Loose pants and a cool long sleeve shirt are perfectly comfortable, and bring along a scarf to cover your head, if need be. It's a good idea to leave jewelry at home, although, some women wear a cheap wedding ring as the perfect accessory for being left alone.
- Be Careful at Your Hotel. When checking in, ask that the desk staff do not say your room number out loud. They should write it down and pass it to you. If you want to use the hotel gym or pool, choose a time when there are lots of other people there. It goes without saying not to open your room door, even for house keeping, if you haven't asked for that service. Consider staying at a bed and breakfast. With fewer guests and a family setting, you'll get to know the people you're staying with.
- Don’t Flash Your Cash. Don't carry around big bills, or wads of money. Keep your valuable papers and extra money in the hotel safe, or if there's no safe, you can store your extra cash in your bra strap. Depending on where you're traveling, you may want to leave the purse at home. Choose something more sturdy and hard to grab, such as a small backpack.
- Watch Your Drink. Just like at any nightclub or bar at home, never accept a drink from a stranger, and never leave your drink unattended. If you have to go to the washroom, finish your drink before you go, and order a new one when you get back.
- It’s All in the Attitude. You have every right to travel and enjoy your incredible surroundings. Walk like you belong. Look like you belong. Criminals don't want to create a scene, they want to find a victim, and your confident attitude can be your best defense.
Travel is one of life's richest experiences, and it would be a shame to miss out because of fear. Don't forget that there are options. If you don't feel comfortable traveling to some of the more exotic locales on your own, consider a group tour for women. You'll meet new people, feel safe in the crowd, and still get the chance to see the world!
Read more about women traveling solo
- Single Women Travel Tips: Stay Safe and Have Fun
- The Best Women's Travel Clothes
- My Top 10 Tips For Traveling Alone Around The World
- Travel Tips: 8 Tips To Pack Like A Pro
- Travel Tips: 5 Ways to Make Your Trip More Relaxing
- Travel Tips: 5 Secrets to Sleeping on a Plane
- 5 Great Travel Gadgets For Your Next Trip
- Travel Purses - Choosing a Good One
- Enjoy Outdoor Activities in the San Juan Islands
- Why is Women-Only Travel So Popular?
- Cool Trips for Women
- 7 Great Travel Gifts for Women
More by this Author
Do you know a woman who loves to travel? Whether globetrotting for business, or for the sheer joy of it, it can be difficult to find the perfect gift for someone on the move. Fear not! Here are 7 great travel gifts for...
True, it can be difficult to look your best when traveling. There are, however, packing tips and travel clothing mixes that can help you look and feel good while traveling.
How ever well you think you know Venice, Italy, you're in for a some surprises! One of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, it's still possible to escape the crowds in its narrow streets and hidden...