Scottish Sayings about Death
HOPE HE WALKS PAST TODAY
Death in Scotland
It is a fact of life that some day the Grim Reaper will call on everyone of us one day, and when that day comes it is time to say bye bye cruel world.
Grief is a strange thing that affects different people in different ways, some people curl up into a corner and wish the world away, some people hide how they are feeling and explode a long time later down the line, others use humor to help get them through the death of a loved one.
This page is dedicated to those people.
It's Not the Cough That Carries you off, it's the coffin they carry you off in
Banned Scottish ad for Nike Featuring the grim Reaper
Top 10 Sayings to Death
In Scotland there are many old sayings that are related to death which are humorous and garaunteed to liven up the the most boring wakes.
10) Death--the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.
9) Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.
8) Dead men are free men.
7) There isn't a cure for death
6) Death pays off all debts
5) Better wade back mid water than go forward and drown.
4) Better live in hope than die in despair.
3) Better be a coward than a corpse.
2) A thread will tie an honest man better than a rope will do a rogue.
1) I DO HOPE HE IS DEAD, THEY BURIED HIM THIS MORNING
There is a little rhyme that is common in Scotland that is often said if someone takes a coughing fit.
It's not the cough that carries you off, it's the coffin they carry you off in!
Death is not a laughing matter but humor helps a lot of families cope through the difficult time.
More by this Author
some fun Scottish insults to impress your friends.
Scottish people may have a bleak outlook on life but their jokes are funny and their sayings are even funnier. Discover Scottish humor here!
What time do my wages actually go into my bank account? A list of times that banks update user accounts and release funds.