- Pets and Animals
Great Beginner Pets: Dog or Cat
A lot of people will buy or adopt an animal and not realize how much care that animal needs. Next thing you know, you find the animal available on Craigslist or some other website. Always do your research before buying an animal! This will help save you money and future complications. Each animal or pet has certain requirements to keep it healthy and live a lot longer than expected. Let's go ahead and go over the two common pets, dog and cat.
Cat or Dog?
Well this depends on if you want an animal for a long time. Dogs and cats can live awhile. Some households will get a cat or dog after they have a child so they can grow up together. I'll list some pros and cons that I know of as best as I can, but this list is not all the reasons. Let's go over what I have collected:
Dogs can come in different breeds. Please do your research about that breed and know the behaviors that follow along with it. Dogs are very smart and are known to save human life. They do require certain care and should not be treated the wrong way.
- Can live a long time and will be your best friend.
- Loyal and smart.
- Depending on the breed, they can help you escape death some day.
- Will play and have fun with you.
- You can take them on walks.
- Great for a service animal.
- Can train them.
- Require shots, which can be expensive.
- Do require you to pick up their poop, which is required in most states.
- Can get fleas and the products can be expensive.
- Require baths. This can be a good thing or a bad thing.
- Barking: They can and will bark, this can get annoying for some people.
- Food: Can be expensive and they can be picky.
-They are lazy and will lay down with you.
- Can be cheap to feed depending on the food you buy.
- Will play with toys
- Are gentle when they want to be.
- Great long-term best friends.
- Very entertaining especially at a young age.
- Great for an emotional support animal.
- You will have to clean up cat poop.
- You may need to declaw, because they will scratch anything.
- They can live outside, but might run away.
- Can get fleas.
- Requires shots.
Having a cat isn't that bad. You will need a vet that you can take your cat in regularly. They do have hair, and you could possibly be allergic. They do shed like crazy, but they are adorable and also one of the top common pets that a family household owns.
Like I said at the beginning, these are not all the pros and cons, but I have listed the common ones that I know of. Both animals would be a great beginner pet to own. They are different, but yet require similar care. Be prepared for them to live a long time though, treat them right, and they will become your best friend.
Which one is your favorite?
© 2017 Brittany Banks