- Pets and Animals»
- Animal Care & Safety
10 Fascinating Zebra Facts and Pictures
Welcome to 10 Fascinating Facts About Zebras
Recently on a trip to a nearby zoo I was able to capture some great pictures of the zebras. These animals are quite fascinating to watch. So with a little research I will share some interesting facts about these wild animals. Zebras known for their unique black and white stripe pattern are represented on many interesting items these days. I have also used my pictures on some funny birthday cards and other items for my store.
1)There are three species of Zebras. The Plains Zebra, Grevy's Zebra and the Mountain Zebra. The Plains Zebra is the most common species
2) The Plains Zebras are found generally in south and east Africa. These are the species we see at the zoo! The Grevy's Zebras and the Mountain Zebras are considered endangered species. Mountain Zebras are found in southwest Africa and the Greb y's Zebras in Ethiopia and Kenya. The difference being the animals size and stripe pattern.
3)The stripe pattern of a zebra are unique to each animal. Like fingerprints are to humans. It is thought that the stripes help to camouflage the zebra and protect them from being attacked by other animals. Especially animals that are colour blind as they have trouble differentiating the stripes from grass and tree branches.
Here is the Intro Picture of the Zebras Enlarged - Grazing Zebras
Notice the dirt on their coats, they've been rolling around on the ground.
Zebra Facts Cont'd
All About the Zebras
4) Zebra have large muscular bodies, long legs and one toe on each foot. They have a long mane that goes from their forehead to their shoulders. They have large noses and ears and a strong incisor teeth for grinding and chewing their food.
5) Zebras are similar to horses. They can weigh anywhere from 300 to 450 kilograms. Heights vary from about 4 to 5 feet and they can be as long as 9 feet in length.
6) Zebras have a keen sense of hearing and smell and have day and night vision. Zebras are thought to have colour vision as well.
My Favourite Capture I Took of this Smiling Zebra - What... Zebras don't smile?
Photogrpahy Designs by Shell
Plush Zebra Toys - A Fun Variety
What do you think of Zebras...
Have you ever seen a Zebra other than at the Zoo?
More Zebra Facts
Interesting Zebra Information
7) Zebras main diet consists of grass. The sometimes eat leaves and the bark of trees as well. It takes Zebras a long time to chew and swallow the grass. They drink water daily.
8) A baby zebra is called a foal. The babies are born with white and brown stripes instead of the black and white stripes. Baby Zebras are able to stand and run within an hour after being born.
9) Zebras are social animals that like to graze in groups, often grooming each other.
10) If or when a Zebra gets in a fight it can be very vicious as they kick and bite other animals in the head, neck and legs!