- Pets and Animals»
15 Fun Facts About Penguins
As kids we had have our share of fun and special bias for our favorite animal or bird. Penguins are one such love of children. All black and white, this bird is loved for its cute looks. Penguins are known to be found in extreme cold climatic condition of Antarctica, Coast of South America, South Africa, Galapagos, Southern Australia and New Zealand as that suits them pretty well but they are very good in adapting to various climates. They are categorized as birds but they cannot fly, they swim. They could speed up to 15 miles per hour.
There are many unheard facts in relation to penguins like above. 15 Fun facts are as follows:
- Penguins are social birds that lives in community and mate for life.
- Penguins communicate with each other by their body language and signs by using their flippers and head.
- Penguins are warm-blooded birds as humans but still lay eggs.
- Penguins keep themselves warm by their insulating layer of air, skin and blubber. They have tightly packed feathers and to feel cold they open their feather.
- There are at least 18 different species of penguin and around 100 million penguins in the world.
- Their natural enemies are Leopard Seal and Giant Petrels. To defend themselves and their nests they bite fiercely.
- They feed on fish, cephalopods and krill and they eat their food by swallowing as a whole.
- Penguins have short legs and no knees and every thing covered with tightly packed feathers.
- Another funny thing about them is if they lose a chick they steal from other mother.
- When the salt storage completely fills the gland, penguins go to a rock and knock his beak to empty the salt content. The act looks rather funny when done by many and observed from a distance.
- In Penguins, male takes care of the chick. To keep eggs warm away from cold they balance their egg on feet and cover with their belly flap.
- They can walk faster than humans even when they seem to waddle while walking.
- They store stones that help them float in water. They enjoy that.
- Baby penguins depend on their parents for food till they have grownup with juvenile feathers on them.
- They can hold their breath for 20 minutes under water and can leap in water while swimming.