ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

2013 Federal Travel Regulations for Horses

Updated on February 22, 2013

As we head into warmer Spring weather and near Summer we need to consider that we may be venturing further from home with our horses in tow. Many of you that have travelled across state lines know that you need to acquire a Veterinary Inspection (Health Certificate) plus other papers necessary for the state you are travelling to. Also, papers that are required by the specific location or facility you will be at during your away stay need to travel with your horse. This may include proof of a negative Coggins Test, the test for Equine Infectious Anemia, within a certain time frame, usually six months, before you are allowed to unload on the grounds.

This does not sound like much of a change and it is not. A lot of states have been working toward aligning with the upcoming federal regulations that become effective March 11th. You have probably heard a few years back of the National Animal Identification System (NAIS) which tried hard to encourage voluntary participation in traceability of livestock namely for disease outbreaks. Some supported the program while others shrugged it off. The USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) reconsidered its approach and now all states require an Interstate Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (ICVI) or other state approved documentation to accompany a horse crossing its boarders.

What is the difference you may ask of the past proposed NAIS system vs. the current ICVI? NAIS required a premise registration that is now taken out of the mix and also wanted each individual animal identified. The realization was that horse owners and other livestock owners already were used to getting a health certificate to travel and this new ICVI is not much of a change. Plus NAIS started off as being recommended and now ICVI is a regulation imposed by the federal government.

Identification Characteristics

  • Sex
  • Age
  • Height
  • Color
  • Weight or Body Condition Score
  • Face Markings
  • Leg Markings
  • Brand (Hot Iron or Freeze)
  • Scar or Blemish
  • Chestnuts
  • Eye Color
  • Whorls
  • Lip Tattoo

Basically the simple Veterinary Inspection has turned into a more thorough assurance that horse transport is being tracked. The past years disease outbreaks in equines tended to restrict horse movement and this system should help to minimize the economic impact on the industry. Make sure your identification papers show your equine properly though. If there are descrepancies in the paperwork from the actual animal in your trailer there will be an investigation. Microchips are an option but are not necessary.

It is the states responsibility to issue, maintain and retrieve data on movements. The issuing state representative, your veterinarian usually, has seven days to get a copy of the papers to the state of origin. They then in turn have seven days to get a copy to the state of destination. Prepare for the additional time it takes to acquire the proper paperwork and make sure you have your appointments set up accordingly. Remember, veterinarians are extremely busy so get your times set before you need them to be completed. Some tests, like the Coggins Test, need to be done in order to get the results back so the paperwork can be given to you. In some cases you may be able to get an event passport for your horse.

Since this is a fairly new means of doing things discuss this with your veterinarian. They are in the know. For more information on animal tracibility you may like to check out the Federal Register on the final ruling.

Happy travels to you and your horse.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)