- Pets and Animals»
All about canaries: Proper feeding
Food has a decisive role in canary breeding. Sometimes they can get underdeveloped because they weren't properly fed as a part of process of growing up. Experiences of my friends who breed them, but also of other people including experts, have shown that different canaries show affection to different kinds of food, so you must not deny them specific ingredients.
Basic nutrients that are a demand to every canary owner are water, proteins, carbonhydrates (sugars), fats, vitamins and minerals. So, let’s start with...
Water: It has to be pure, clean and it takes the major part (over 50%) in canary body development. It regulates body temperature and has an important role in transporting food, processing nutritive material and so on.
Proteins: Canaries cannot take proteins out of other matter. If proteins are not absorbed then the organism does not grow and then even the other food is left unused.
Sugars take an important role in producing fats in the organism.
Fats are an important source of energy and heat but if a canary is overweight then it can have negative effects on the mood, mating and singing.
Vitamins, if taken in sufficient doses, can prevent diseases and disruptions. The most common and important are vitamins A, B, C, D, E.
Minerals that are needed are potassium, calcium, sodium, sulphur, iron, chlorine, iodine.
What is the best food for my canary?
So, let see what should be on the menu of your bird. First of all, every canary has to get fresh water and fresh food every morning. Water must not be cold, and we thinks that the water that is used in the house (by people) okay. Water that is rich of chlorine or iodine is better to be creaved first. When the days are hot or maybe its mating season, water should be changed twice a day.
Quantity of food for the canary is hardly measurable since it is a small bird but consider that every canary has to get 1 – 2 spoons of mixed seeds every day, which is around 10 grammes. The role of various seeds in feeding depends on a season, age of a canary, his health and so on. It is important to have rapeseed as basic and then other types of seeds and vegetables, fruits. If he gets way too fat for his height then he should be given millet seed with addition of fruits and veggies. If he has diarrhea you should not give him peeled millet.
The food is kept and stored like human food except it cannot be held in a moist, too hot or too dry room. When preparing meals for your birds, you should know:
1. Daily quantity should be exactly how much a bird can eat, no more nor less. If you give him more he might get obese, and less is not good if he is not on a diet.
2. Meal has to contain all the nutrients mentioned above.
3. You need to follow canary’s reactions during feeding, to know how much he can eat, and what he likes most. According to his reactions, you should change his food.
4. Every two days he should get a leaf of green salad, spinach, fresh cabbage or similar and two times a week scraped carrot or a piece of peeled apple or pear.
5. Once a week give him a cracker drowned in milk.
6. Secure that every day he has an eggshell in a cage, clean sand, cuttlefish bone or similar source of minerals.
That will be the basics of how to feed your canaries. Remember that even their song depends on how do you feed them so that the higher pleasures cannot be achieved without basic ones. May your birds always have a happy and good meal!