- Pets and Animals
Buying Reptiles Online
This is a BackwaterReptiles.com guide to buying live reptiles and amphibians online. There are several aspects to keep in mind when purchasing these fascinating creatures from a website. We will attempt to alleviate any of your concerns, and answer all of your questions. It's really exciting to receive that overnight package in the mail, so read on and enjoy!
Reptiles and Amphibians
The beautiful uromastyx lizard pictured to the right is just one of the many reptiles and amphibians available for sale online from a variety of websites. We will attempt to guide you through the live reptile and amphibian purchasing process.
Things to Keep in Mind
- Make sure you are receiving a 100% live arrival guarantee. In addition, a healthy animal should also be guaranteed. It's not enough to ensure an animal will arrive alive if it has a sickly appearance upon delivery.
- Do some price shopping. Ceteris paribus (all other things being equal), when an animal is guaranteed to arrive alive and in excellent health, make sure you're getting the best price possible. There's no sense paying $40 for a lizard when you can get it for $30 elsewhere.
- Check your current weather conditions. Most live reptile sellers have warranties that are void if temperatures are above, or below, certain levels. While most companies will do what they can to ensure safety (using heat packs, for example), do some research.
- Read the terms and conditions. It may be boring, but it's good information to have in your back pocket.
- E-mail the company prior to ordering to test their response time. This can be very indicative of the service level they provide. It should never, ever take more than 24 hours to respond to your e-mail. This is very important.
Size of Reptile Matters
Ok, you've settled on the reptile or amphibian that you think looks beautiful--but have you considered the size it will attain? Check out the pictures below...cute baby Green anacondas grow into massive snakes in a matter of years, and require significant time and safety precautions. Easy-to-handle baby Water monitors grow into huge lizards that require planning and space.
- Reptiles for Sale
We have a huge selection of live reptiles for sale online, including lizards, snakes, frogs, turtles, salamanders, and more. Live arrival and excellent health is guaranteed!
A Few More Considerations
- Do I know the maximum size of the reptile or amphibian I am purchasing? If so, can I provide a large enough space for it in which to live?
- Am I willing to spend the money to purchase the reptile supplies necessary for a healthy animal? This includes a cage, substrate, hide spots, supplements, and lighting.
- Have I checked local reptile and amphibian regulations? This is most notably important for animals such as alligators, caimans, large snakes, and large lizards.
- Do I have access to a regular source of food for my reptile or amphibian? This would include a cricket, live or frozen mouse, mealworm, or roach supplier.