This recipe is safe for human consumption yet made special for my canine and my grand dog, they only get the very best because they deserve it!
This meal satisfies my canines so much that they get real playful after eating it. I feel good about feeding this low-fat meal to them because it is loaded with vegetables, minerals, high-fiber and high-protein. Occasionally I substitute the beef for chicken breast and chicken broth which is also very satisfying.
This recipe makes 8 quarts so you can freeze some to use at a later date.
* Rice may be substituted for barley
** Beef stew meat may be substituted for ground beef
Pet Orthopedic Supplies
- 2 qts Water
- 1 c * Barley
- 1 tbs EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 lb ** Lean Ground Beef
- 1 (28 oz) Diced Tomatoes - low sodium (undrained)
- 1 qt Beef Broth - low sodium
- 4 Potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 c Wheat Pasta
- 1/2 Small Head of Cabbage, shredded
- Bring 2-1/2 cups of water to boil in a 3-quart pan. Add barley, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for about 45-50 minutes until done. Set aside.
- Heat oil in an 8-quart dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until brown. Drain. Return beef to dutch oven.
- Add tomatoes with juice, 5-1/2 cups water, and beef broth. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add potatoes and carrots to meat mixture, reduce heat to medium-high and let cook for about 10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add cabbage and pasta, cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in barley.