- Pets and Animals
Before You Feed Your Dog Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner
Pets and Turkey
So a couple years ago my oldest daughter talked me into getting a purebred Dachshund. Having always been allergic to dogs I was really quite unexcited about the prospect, but she assured me she would do all the work and I would never even know the dog was there. Three months later she had me walking the dog everyday while she was at school because she didn't want the dog to be lonely. Three years later I am quite aware the dog is here and have had to learn quite a few painful lessons the hard way. Sarah is a mini princess to the point she will not eat dry food unless a certain kind of meat is mixed in with it. No pedigree can dog food for this dog.
Before I knew it, Sarah was with us for three months and we were having our first Thanksgiving full on from scratch meal. Sarah the dog who thinks she is quite human was savoring at the mouth and quite honestly reminding everyone she was in the room. I don't think there was an hour where I was cooking she didn't whine. If you have never had a Dachshund they literally like to eat so it is really easy to overfeed them.These dogs have perfected the sad eyes begging better than any other dog. Because we were aware that she would need back surgery in later years if we let her get overweight we had been accustomed to keeping her on her regular diet of dry food, meat and some uncooked fruits and vegetables(raspberries, blueberries, tomatoes,watermelon and carrots. No table scraps seasoned people food. You can imagine my surprise when my daughter announced our dog was having Thanksgiving too.
My grandmother who could have cared less whether I was allergic or not to her dogs because they were part of the family had always fed her dog the unmentionable parts of the turkey at the dinner table so surely it was no big deal. So supper time roles around and we put out the food. We figure feed Sarah at the same time so we don't have to be serenaded. This dog proceeds to scarf down the food like we had never fed her before. So of course, we thought let's give her more. She had all kinds of turkey parts and she's in seventh heaven. Then around ten we here this low rumbling coming from her and she's whining in a different pitch.11:00 roles around and lets just say on Thanksgiving night you do not want to be learning you may have poisoned your dog.
CALLING THE PET HOSPITAL: So at a 11:00 at night my daughter comes rushing in that her dog is throwing up everywhere and having problems with diarrhea. The room literally smells like something has died. We clean her up and her kennel then I call the emergency pet hospital. I know you don't want to, but if you tell them your pet is ill and you can't afford to bring it in they will usually try to help you as much as they can over the phone. They say that she should be left alone and that we should not have fed her human food, but to give her twenty four hours and it should pass. The dog is sick for three days and on my meager budget I am trying to figure out what to do. She has completely lost like 3 lbs and you can see her ribs. She was an 11 pound wiener to begin with so it's obvious we are in trouble. She won't touch anything and she is literally having trouble holding even water down.
BLAND CHICKEN AND RICE: I went to the pet store to find some dog medicine and the saleslady suggested I give her bland rice and bland chicken but only a few pieces because I need to build her back up to eating again and see if she can hold it down. Within 24 hours she is up and walking around and willing to play. No more vomiting or diarrhea. But it took me over 4 day before she could come off the rice and chicken and two weeks for her to gain the weight back. My daughter sat up with Sarah feeling guilty.
PANCREATITIS: When I went back into the pet store a few days after this two week period the lady told me my dog had suffered from Pancreatitis a common ailment that happens to some dogs. And that if I was lucky it was a one time thing, but that it could happen over and over again so it was important not to aggravate it. She also said that turkey contains something in it that I can't remember now that other birds don't have and that is why it had that effect on my dog.Her regular vet confirmed this when I took her in for her checkup. I thought well if this was possible you should have warned me because there is no way I'd come to that conclusion on my own.
So when you are having Turkey this year, if you want to share with your best friend check with your veterinarian before you spoil him or her. And moderation is a good thing. I'd hate for you and your best friend to have a horrible holiday. If you should get into trouble or need more information the animal poison control center number is (888)426-4435 or you can go online to www.aspca.org/apcc .
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!