- Pets and Animals»
- Cats & Cat Breeds
Betcha Didn't Know ... Cats... (some facts about)
Did You Know ???
- Betcha didn't know that the average cat has 24 whiskers, set in four rows of 3 whiskers, each side of their face... the upper and bottom rows move independently of each other
- Edgar Allan Poe often portrayed cats as sinister harbingers of doom(but had an affinity toward them) kept several in his lifetime and his dying wife loved one that comforted her often during her battle with tuberculosis
- The domestic cat we enjoy today is a an ancestor of the African wild cat
- There are more cats than dogs in existence
- A cat can jump about 5 times it's height in one leap
So many things to know about cats
A found this amazing book called Cats Miscellany on Amazon just shortly after acquiring a stray cat that just kind of wondered into my life and heart...
5. Cats don't always land on their feet... and you should ensure they aren't allowed access to great a height
6. Cat's do not have sweat glands, and thus they never sweat (could be why they are soooo "Cool") but not "corny" like me ... although they may share a love of comic books , as there are several comic characters based on cat tendencies...
Cats and Comics
7. In 1868 a plan called the "Cat System " was initiated, in London to deal with their rodent infestation; and these cats that were used as mousers earned two shillings a week ( I wonder if they had pockets then)
8.There are several plants that are dangerous to cats, such as Elderberry. Eucalyptus , Hemlock, Lace fern Dumb Cane and even lilies ; although good to look at, ALL lilies are toxic to cats
9. Research reveals that having a cat's calming presence around can lower blood pressure and even cholesterol levels
10. Research seems to prove that cats "warm" to people in stages... such as rubbing against your leg or them rubbing against or pawing your fingers
11. The average cat sleeps for 2/3rds of his life
12. Cats are cleaner than people; considering that they spend about a third of their life "grooming" themselves
13. The average cat's lifespan is about 15-20 years
14. Black cats haven't always been considered "unlucky", and it was European superstition during the Middle ages that perpetrated this myth and Oct 27 has been designated "Black Cat's protection Day In great Britain and Northern Ireland... perhaps as payment for past wrongs done to black cats by ignorant ancestors... who like others even today who believe ...
Some of The Myths about Cats
- Cats heal themselves by licking their wounds
- pregnant women shouldn't own a cat
- cats can't get rabies
- indoor cats don't get diseases
- cats steal babies breath away
- cats should consume milk everyday (consult a vet ...)
Acknowledge Your cat knowledge...
How many of These Cat facts did you Know ??? (review them and answer)
A wonderful book full of amazing and useful facts on our "furry" friends