- Pets and Animals»
Brilliant Rats: A Collection of Photos and Facts
Rats live all over the world: in cellars, houses, the woods, grasslands, and deserts. The only place they haven't covered is the big old snowy landmass below us. And the North Pole. Rats are smart little survivors that live with humans- rather as pests or pets. I am looking to highlight the rat and show him in a positive light. I hope you enjoy this collection of facts and pictures.
The Facts Of Rats
- They can scale a brick wall
- They are so good at remembering where places are that exterminators swear that if a wall was torn down, the rats would follow the exact same route from when the wall was present
- Their DNA is closer to ours than is of cats and dogs
- They can get the flu and die of it
- Queen Victoria had a pet rats herself
- Their gait is similar to a horse's gallop
- They can last longer than camels without water, and they can swim for up to three days and not drown
- They can sense TB in human spit
- They have been trained to detect land mines
- They can jump up to four feet
- There is no leader in a mischief (rat pack); the theory originated from a true fact that sometimes rats get their tails entangled in the nest (sometimes they live because others feed them, sometimes they die)
- Rats cannot vomit but they can laugh
- They care for each other in the mischief (feeding and grooming and healing those injured)
- They have a sense of humor
- They have been known to make human like sounds to talk to us and also tell the difference between spoken Dutch and Japanese
- They have been taught to control a robot arm (in 1999) and to follow electric signals in 2002
- They can see detail very well but cannot see up to a few foot away
- They have highly developed senses of taste and smell
- They can locate noises up to half a foot away
- Rats are described as "touch-loving" animals because they love to touch and be touched; they also keep to the edge of things because they feel safe when they are in contact with something that warrants them a quick escape
- They use their tail to sweat, balance, and regulate body temperature and blood pressure
Do you agree that rats are awesome?
Personal Experience: Rats Are Sneaky Little Preciouses
Scabbers has gotten into many sticky places in the 6-7 months I've had him. He's fallen off cabinets! But- like a cat- he rights himself and lands on all four paws. He's grabbed papers from my wastebasket (where I write Hubs, poems, and stories that didn't make the cut) and drags them to Templeton's hoardy hole.
Templeton has had his fair share. He once seized the whole bag of chocolate raisins and took off with them.
I haven't had Little Chef long enough (about a month) for too many crazy antics to arise. He has knocked his food bowls to the bottom of his cage however. But he still has some crazy stuff to do.
Rats Are A-maz-ing!
Rats dream. Like, really. Guess what they dream about?
If they ran a maze, they dream of that maze. They dream of what happened that day.
And Rats Are Cuddlebugs!