Car Travel with Dogs – Safety First!!
There are many dog owners today that car travel with their dogs. But often times their dogs are let loose inside the car, unrestrained and not in their crates. This practice is one of the most dangerous things you could do to your pet. Car travel with dogs should always be fun and safe at all times. So keeping your dog restrained or inside a dog crate should always be practiced when car traveling with dogs.
Many dog owners think that it is perfectly safe to let your dog car travel unrestrained. This is a big mistake; most victims of road accidents with dog passengers have a high fatality rate. Could you just imagine what would happen to your unrestrained dog when a collision strikes? Your dog will be like a projectile bouncing inside your car causing unimaginable injuries that could lead to a fatality.
How should we practice safety when car traveling with our dogs? Here are some very helpful tips when car traveling with dogs:
· It is best to keep our dogs restrained at all times during car travel. Keeping them in a harness, pet carrier or dog car cage would certainly save their lives in case of a road collision.
· Never strap or keep your dog with you in the front passenger seat of your vehicle. Many dogs get injured by the side airbags when a road mishap happens.
· Keep your dogs securely restrained at the back seat or on the cargo area of your vehicle. Make sure your dog’s harness attaches to the seat belt latch of your rear seat and when using a dog car cage make sure it is fastened securely on the latches of your cargo area.
· Never let your harnessed dog hang his head out the window of your moving car. Many dogs get easily injured by flying debris or insects hitting their eyes when they hang their head outside the window of a moving car. Just keep a small opening on your car window for ventilation; never crack your window wide enough for your dog to stick his head out.
· During pit stops or rest stops, never leave your dogs inside the car. The temperature inside a vehicle could get extremely hot or cold. Leaving your dog inside the vehicle might cause severe problems to your pets.
When car traveling with dogs it is always best to keep them restrained and secured inside the vehicle. Just like our human babies, would you dare travel with a child unrestrained or without a proper child seat? None of us would ever dream or try letting an infant or child ride in a car without appropriate safety restraints. Our dogs should always be treated as precious cargos while inside the vehicle. Try to look for the best quality harness and dog car cages or crates you could use for car travel with dogs. All unnecessary injuries can easily be avoided with proper restraint or the use of dog car cages.