When our daughter, Lucy, was living in Texas she bought herself a chorkie. I had never heard of a chorkie, but I am now a chorkie lover. What is a chorkie? A chorkie is a new-fangled designer dog, which is a mix of chihuahua and teacup yorkshire terrier. The traits of both breeds are present in a chorkie, as are the myriad of color combinations. Where does one find a chorkie? I just found two after a quick search on the internet - one for $335 and one for $775! How do you put a price on something so adorable and lovable?
Characteristics of a Chorkie
- A great lap dog - will keep you warm!
- A fun and faithful companion - you'll always have a friend.
- They come in an infinite variety of colors.
- Available with long or short hair.
- They're smart - easy to train
- They're friendly - lots of kisses!
- Very little grooming required
- Little or no shedding
Layla the Chorkie
Layla is the chorkie that Lucy brought with her when she moved back to California from Texas. Because my husband Guy and I work at home, and because we are dog lovers, we are Layla's chosen dog sitters when Lucy travels. We have learned first hand some of the amazing "special features" that the Chorkie known as Layla posseses.
- She sleeps completely buried under the covers. She loves to snuggle up close, and only comes up for air when she gets too warm.
- When she goes outside to do what dogs do, if the grass is wet she lifts her hind legs in the air and walks about on her two front paws. Too cute!
- If she wants a cookie (which is always!), she prances about on her hind feet and reaches up with her front paws. And then she jumps and spins!
- She loves nearly everyone and a lap is her favorite place to be. This is a definite advantage for Layla over our Lab, Roxie. No laps for large dogs!
Benefits of a Chorkie over a Lab
Ok - here goes. I have always been a lover of labs & goldens, but I can now see some advantages to a chorkie.
- Chorkies eat a lot less!
- Chorkies leave much smaller gifts in the backyard
- Chorkies shed much less than labs
- No one is afraid of a chorkie
- A chorkie's mouth is too small for a tennis ball
- Chorkies don't drool
- A chorkie can't knock you over