Advocate Group or Cult?
Like many groups out there in the world, Dogsbite.org believes they are doing good. In some way they might be however, their extreme views and bullying tactics make them appear more like a cult then just a simple advocate group. And, their fearless leader Colleen Lynn is making news by her political views and her support for laws that would only benefit her and her followers.
Here are a few of the examples of how this group exhibits cult characteristics:
- Unquestioning commitment to the leader or head of their group. People blindly support Lynn even with documentation that she has changed her story on her "attack" several times.
- They have a taken a stand and have exhibited several times an "us vs. them" mentality. Then using the friction caused by that thinking to fuel their rage.
- They believe what they are told to believe by their leader.
- If you don't agree with them or speak out against something they are doing, they "punish" you by banning you from their group (banning from their Facebook page and their website"
- The group and its leader uses peer pressure to shame people into feeling guilty if they oppose the ideas of the group
- The group has managed to justify the ends by and means necessary in their minds. They accuse people of being bad parents without knowing anything about the person other then that person feels that all dogs bite and attack not just Pit Bulls
- Their leader thinks she is untouchable by authorities. Proven by her claim that their group is a 501 c nonprofit when they clearly support politics and a political view (as demonstrated today on national television).
- The group is clearly more preoccupied with gaining more followers then many advocate groups. They use bully tactics to sway people to join or support their cause.
These are just some of the characteristics that the group has shown on their website and Facebook page that follow the cult mentality. As an "advocate" for dogs and owners I do have concerns with bites and attacks, but I understand that most that occur could be avoided or prevented. To attack just one particular breed but say you are there to support any bite victim is insulting. This is just one manipulation they use to gain support. They claim to be against bully breed dogs and yet they are the biggest bullies of all.