From the parrot's beak: Thanksgiving don't confuse the turkey with the parrot edition
- Wait! Don't eat THOSE frozen bird parts!: Presley, one of the last remaining Spix's macaws, recently expired - but he still may be of help in replenishing his species. Thje Spix is most probably extinct in the wild and about 100 hang on in captivity. It is thought by some scientists tat his reproductive organs can be frozen and stored and used to impregnate annd thus increase the genetic diversity of the remaining stock.
- Psittacine cinema: Not very holiday spirited of them but Crows visiting and parrots don't want to share. - YouTube -- Kashmir Csaky is A Parrot Whisperer: Lynchburg Area Woman Knows ... - WSET.com Amazing wild budgie swarm formation:http://iloveparakeets.com/huge-wild-budgerigar-flock-in-ou…/ -- Rainbow budgie mutation: .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwrVB-6pHaA&feature=youtu.be -- Bird Sings His Heart Out - YouTube -- South Africa: Saving the Cape Parrots | Global 3000 - YouTube
-Thanksgiving parrot joke: A parrot picks up and swallows a viagara tablet. His annoyed owned sticks him in a freezer and tells him to "Cool it". Several minutes later he opens the freezer only to find the parrot swearing up a blue streak. "Now what's the problem?" the owner asks. The parrot replies, "do you know how hard it is tio sprad the legs of a frozen turkey?"
- Conservation good guys win one: Logging on Bruny Island, south of Hobart, has been temporarily suspended as part of efforts to save the dwindling habitat of the critically endangered swift parrot.
- Two good turns: Serenity Park in Los Angeles, Ca was founded in 2005 by Dr. Lorin Lindner, a clinical psychologist and preventative health specialist. The sanctuary has the simple but noble mission to heal veterans by rescuing parrots.
- Bedtime stories: Why do birds sleep on one leg? If they lifted the other one, too; they'd fall over. This and some somewhat more serious facts about parrot sleep is my story in the November The Pet Gazette . See page 10.
- Parrotrivia: "Mr. Belvedere" the butler decides the family needs to go on an austerity kick , part of which involves lowering the hose heat to near intolerable levels. The family "busts" him later, finding him in his room wearing a Hawaiian shirt, with and umbrella drink and an Amazon parrot perched nearby.
- That's NOT a joke, son: RE: A joke in this column last week concerning parrots, grapes and nails, "While this is amusing, it side-steps important issues. The main issue is the intelligence of parrots. The jokester is likely ignorant of the ability of birds to learn language and also their ability to converse. So, as in many matters, the joke tells you more about the human behind the words than it does about parrots. writes Mike Dalton, author of "" and trainer of Arielle the blue and gold macaw. Another kind of mind; a talking bird masters English
- Obit: A sad farewell to Janell Barabash, who passed away ;last week. Ms. Barabash was a strong force behind Save Our Wild Parrots of New York, a group dedicated to keeping the feral Quaker parrots of New York City safe from having their nests torn down by the power compnies and other opponents. She was also a gracious and informative guide when this writer visited NYC to research an article for "Australian Bird Keeper" magazine.
- Thanksgiving to Christmas: Free ceramic Christmas tree ornaments with parrot pix are still available. Pay only shipping! Limited quantities--grab 'em before they're gone!http://ohmybird.com/
- Hot dates:
11/14-15: Canadian Parrot Conference - Featuring Barbara Heidenreich speaking on “Scirocco the Kakapo” and “Addressing Screaming”. Holiday Inn Guelph, 601 Scottsdale Dr., Guelph, Ontario, Canada - Sat 9-5 pm, Sun 9-5
11/14: Toy making with Concetta: American Federation for Aviculture northeast chair Concetta Ferragamo fills in for Santa at this instruction class. Toy parts will be provided but participants are encouraged to bring and recycle pieces from old toys. 2 pm. Schenectady County Library, 99 Clinton St., Schenectady, NY.
The Parrot Club Birdie Bash - Veterans Memorial Clubhouse, 100 Sunset Ridge Drive, East Hartford, CT - 10-4
Positive Reinforcement Training Class, 2 p.m.Parrot University Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk Street. Pineville. NC
Things I wish I'd Known. A comprehensive parrot care class for the new and experienced alike. 11-1. Pender County Library, 75 Library Dr., Hampstead, NC
Atlanta Pet Expo - Georgia International Convention Center, 2000 Convention Center Concourse, Atlanta, GA- 10-6
Caring for the Whole Parrot. Class. 11-1. First and St. Stephen's United Church of Christ, 6915 York Rd. Towsend, MD.
11/15: "Freeflight: An Improved Lifestyle" presentation by Lewis Buddy Waskey, 2:30 Peninsula Cage Bird Society, 100 Columbus Dr. Newport News, VA
Parrot 101 class. 2 p.m. Parrot University Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk Street. Pineville, NC
11/20-22: Parrots International Symposium 2015 - Campo Grande Convention Center, Campo Grande, Brazil - Fri 8:30-5:30, Sat 8:30-6:30, Sun 8:30-6
11/21:Lancaster Bird Expo featuring guest speakers: Jamie Whittaker; Vice President of The American Federation Of Aviculture. Patricia Sund's chop shop and grain bake, Concetta Ferragamo's Ultimate Cage Challenge & Toy Rehab and John Lege "That Guy With The Birds" with two special shows. Please leave your own pets at home. 9-5. :ancaster Host Resort 2300 Lincoln Hwy. E., Lancaster, PA
Jeopardy! The nutrition edition: Test your knowledge about nutrition and how it affects birds. There are prizes involved, and hopefully everyone will have a chance to play. Attendees will also make batches of mash, pumpkin bread and fresh fruit/veggie salad. 10-12. The Landing, 31 Landing Place, Alexander, NC
Toy making class: 11 am Parrot University, Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk Street. Pineville NC
A Parrot's Point of View class: How a parrot adapts to their lives in our homes. [satisfies Phoenix Landing adoption process requirement] 1-3. Stahl Exotic Animal Veterinary Services, 4105 Rust Rd., Fairfax, VA
11/22: Breeder/author Rick Jordan addresses a rather ominous sounding topic "Is there a Future for Aviculture?" at The Real Macaw Parrot Club; 2 pm, East Sjoree Area Library, 4501 Ethel St. Harrisburg, PA
- Lost: Eclectus, Parkville, MD. Reward offered. (443) 938-3684/(841) 241-0437.