From the parrot's beak: 10/16 edition
- Macaw Comes Between Lovebirds: A macaw was supposed to provide comfort to a woman who had suffered through some 13 strokes. The only problem is that Winston, a 9 year old blue & gold, became so overprotective that he regularly attacked fiancee Paul. "Is it my fault that he chose me as his master?" asks Jeannette; adding she'd save her pet over Paul 'if the Titanic went down. "I can’t handle it at all. He doesn’t like men," says a bird handler (male) they consulted,. Jeannette does note, "Winston warns Paul when I am ill." Desperate for a solution. Paul took his case to "The Jeremy Kyle Show" - kind of a British Jerry Springer. The host, Paul and "just in case" security guard Steve went backstage to visit Jeannette and Winston. When Jeannette put Winston in his cage, the bird still squawked and tried to claw at Paul as he hugged her. Nevertheless, the couple plan to go ahead with the wedding; hoping things eventually work out.
- Hoarder Charged; Rescued Parrots Held as Evidence: Police have arrested and charged Weston, CT homeowner Daniel Kopulos with animal cruelty following the discovery of hundreds of birds, snakes and reptiles; many dead or in bad condition, in his home. A first offense is punishable by a fine of not more than $1,000, or imprisonment of not more then one year or both. -- Some of the Weston rescued parrots now residing at Rhode Island Parrot Rescue (formerly Lazicki's Bird House) may be moved out of quarantine this week depending on lab results. However, the birds for now remain unavailable for adoption as that they are still part of an ongoing police investigation.
- Greys Maine-ly a No No: African greys have just joined a growing list of parrots as Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) Appendix I species.The state of Maine prohibits any of these species, effectively banning African grey ownership. Moreover, there are restrictions or prohibitions on Endangered Species Act listed birds in the following states: Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana. Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina,South Dakota
- Hold the Sweet Peas: An assortment of Beanie Babies (yes, they still make them) in a supermarket included the two canine stars of "The Secret Lives of Pets" as well as the bad bunny turned good; but no Sweet Pea the budgie. We hope that that's because they were sold out and not because of any type of anti-budgie discrimination.
- Feather Knows Best: Science student seeks cockatiel feathers; chest and tail preferred but all accepted. Donors are also asked to send along a gram of the bird's food and answer a short questionnaire. the pilot study is to determine how carbon and nitrogen isotopes accumulate in feathers from diet. the hope is this will shed some light on how cockatiels in the wild ingest these minerals.The study may be expanded to include budgies, ringnecks and other hookbills. Interested parties should contact email@example.com
- Under My Wing Avian Refuge Sanctuary.in Wantage, NJ has been pelted by flooding from Hurricanes Irene and Sandy; and the 10 acre property has also been hit by fire and smoke. But the Sanctuasry soldiers on as it approaches its 9th anniversary.
- Parrotrivia: The Duff Beer Man on "The Simpsons" has a pet scarlet macaw named Poppy that helped Maggie and a group of animals save an opossum from a hillbilly family's dinner pot.
- Quote o' the week: "If I ask you to watch my bird that's the highest level of trust. However, I'm also planning where to dump your body if something goes wrong" - Facebook meme
- Now for Something Completely Different: This writer's thoughts and photos on "The "Good, Better and Best" campaign buttons of 2016 to collect appears in the November "New England Antiques Journal."
- Hot Dates: 10/15-16: 57th Canadian National Cage Bird Show & Expo hosted by BFBS-Richmond Green Sports Centre, 1300 Elgin Mills Road E., Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada -Sat 11-4, Sun 9:30-3:30 -- -- Smoky Mountain Cage Bird Society Show-Collett Street Rec. Center, 300 Collett St., Morganton, NC Sat 9-5, Sun 10-5-- 2 Day Parrot Training Workshop Karlsruhe, Germany Hosted by Parrots Parcel featuring Barbara Heidenreich.
10/15: Baltimore Bird Fanciers 76th Annual Bird Show & Mart-Baltimore Travel Plaza, 5625 O'Donnell St., Baltimore, MD 9-4 pm -- Massachusetts Cage Bird Association 100th Anniversary Show-Liberal Club, 20 Star St., Fall River, MA -10-4 -- Smoky Mountain Cage Bird Society Show-Collett Street Rec. Center, 300 Collett St., Morganton, NC Sat 9-5, Sun 10-5 -- Parrot University Volunteer Orientation 10-12, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC --Things I Wish I'd Known class 10-12, Hampstead Public Library, 75 Library Dr., Hampstead, NC -- Nourish to Flourish class. 10-12. The Landing. 31 Landing Place, Alexander, MC.
10/16: Exotic Bird Events Inc - The largest “All Exotic Bird Event” in Florida – Sunday 9am – 4pm – Admission $5 Children under 10 FREE Admission fee includes one free door prize ticket per admission. Central Florida Fairground 4603 W Colonial Dr., Orlando, FL -- Positive Reinforcement class. Parrot University. 2 pm, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
10/22, 29: Halloween costume party for pets; participating Petco stiores. How many birds can we get out there?
10/22: 2016 BAA Grand National - DoubleTree Hotel Intercontinental, 15747 John F Kennedy Blvd, Houston, TX 77032 - 10 am - 5
- Found: Nashua NH Humane Society has a green cheek conure (603) 889-2275 -- Lost: Hahn's macaw. Vernon Hills, IL. Reward offered. (847) 702-9820.