From the parrot's beak: 10/2 edition
- Weston update:Some startlingly ironic facts have emerged from the Weston, CT hoarding case in which lories, macaws, a kookaburra, cockatoos, parrots and parakeets along with several exotic reptiles were rescued. The animals' former owner, Daniel Kopulos, is a wildlife conservationist who visited Guatemala to teach local veterinarians about macaw husbandry and chick rearing. The "New York Times" called him “the soft-spoken bird whisperer” and in 2011 said about his former pet shop, “Fauna’s mission is education and conservation. Impulse buyers beware: Mr. Kopulos will sell you a bird only if he approves of you. A mandatory veterinary check-up is built into the price. it’s further education for owners.” Kopulos even appeared on NBC’s “Today” show. Recently, he posted on Facebook chastising some teenagers for beating porcupines to death. Five out of 118 birds rescued by Rhode Island Parrot Rescue have since died. Other rescue groups have taken still more of the rescued creatures. -- One bright spot, for his 12th birthday; Kirk Webster donated $500 to help out the parrots that Rhode Island Parrot Rescue took in, saying,"You guys needed the money more than I do." His impressed mother matched the gift.. Valerie Ashley, Director of RIPR said,. "It's important that young people... open their hearts to helping, since they will be the next generation to continue this work."
- Woodpeckers vs. Parrots: Woodpeckers destroyed the Comcast cables at the home of the graphic artist for the "Pet Gazette", for whom this editor writes a monthly parrot column. Production of the October issue was consequently held up as repairs were being made. Still unclear is if the woodpeckers' motive was jealousy of the attention that parrots were getting or that they can't get Comcast.
- Keep it Down, you Hosers, eh?: When shouts of "I hope you die,” and so forth were heard coming from an Ontario house, the Mounties were called in. As Constable Steve Bates explains, "We located the male of the household alone in the house screaming at his pet parrot who obviously was ‘beaking off’ at him, in his words.” Alcohol was involved, on the man's part - hopefully not the parrot's. In this case the Mounties did not get their man - or parrot - as no charges were filed.
- The Emperor has no Clothes: or rather, Rhea the lovebird has no feathers. The little bird has a disease which leaves her permanently bald. What Rhea DOES have is over 67,000 fans on Instagram and some of them have sent in custom jumpers to keep her warm.
- Pollytics '16: Currently circulating on Facebook is a meme depicting Donald Trump as a sun conure (including the trademark hair) repeating "Build a wall" over and over when the debate moderator asks about releasing his taxes.
- Parrotrivia: Sailor Sam Burke hitches a ride with "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea"'s Seaview. Burke brings along a bag of six mechanical toys; including a parrot, which proceed to terrorize the sub's crew.
- Word Games: Parrot owners sometimes refer to themselves as "parronts" and their feathered pets as "fids".
- 'Net that Lost Parrot: Social media can be a valuable tool for retrieving a lost parrot. "Parrot Lost &* Found" is the October "Pet Gazette" feature story by George Sommers Lost bird is the word -- spread it and you might just find your missing feathered friend. "Parrot Lost and Found" (by me) ; Page 8 in the October "Pet Gazette". http://duxburypetgazette.ma.newsmemory.com/
- Quote o' the week: My parrot being loud makes me wish for earplugs. My parrot being silent means something valuable is being destroyed. - Facebook meme
- Hot Dates: 10/1: Long Island Parrot Society (LIPS) Parrot Expo 2016-"Accent on Behavior" Speakers Lara Joseph of the Animal Behavior Center and Kathy LaFollett of "Flock Call". Freeport Recreation Center, 130 Merrick Road, Freeport, Long Island, NY -9-5 -- Peninsula Caged Bird Society Fall Festival-The Columbian Center, 100 Columbus Way, Newport News, VA -9-4 - Parrot Natural History class.11 a.m. Parrot University, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC -- Addressing Screaming for Attention in Companion Parrots. Barbara Heidenreich webinar 12 noon CST. Includes 30 minutes of Q & At.
10/2: Seattle Parrot Expo: POSTPONED until 2017 due to family issues..Hiowever, Ken Ramirez, Exec. Dir. of Training at Karen Pryor Academy will speak as scheduled. . 9-5. FREE lunch. Tukwila Community Center, 12424 42nd AVe Suth, Tukwila, WA - Solutions for Parrot Behavior Problems Related to Hormones. Barbara Heidenreich webinar. 12 noon CST. Includes 30 minutes of Q & A. -- Positive Reinforcement class. Parrot University. 2 p.m. 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
10/7-10: Parrot Palooza 2016-Bird Paradise, Guest speaker. Dr. Laurie Hess. Photo, pumpkin carving, toy penguin races and other contests; DJ, sales, DIY toy making, food and more. 551 E. Rt. 130 South, Burlington, NJ -Fri 9-9, Sat 10-9, Sun 10-5, Mon 9-9
10/8-9: New England Cockatiel Breeders & Exhibitors Fall Quad Show-American Legion, 662 W Shore Road, Warwick, RI -10-5
10/8: International Canary and Finch Society Day with the Birds- Pvt. Leonard Post, Jr. VFW #6251, 2450 Walden Ave., Cheektowaga, NY -9-3 -- Rhode Island Budgerigar Society 61st Annual Show-Howard Rogers Post #25, 25 McCallum Ave., Pawtucket, RI -1:30-3 -- Solutions for Biting and Aggressive Behavior in Companion Parrots webinar with Barbara Heidenreich. Includes optional 30 minutes Q & A and access to a recorded version.
10/9: Picnic with the Parrots. 4th annual So Cal Parrot open house/fundraiser. Tour unique urban wild parrot rescue sanctuary; chat with volunteers about all things parrot. Bring your family, friends, and a picnic along! $10 suggested donation @ the gate. 11-4 PDT 3621 Hidden Ridge Rd. Jamul, CA. -- Catskill Exotic Bird Club 24th Annual Pet Bird Show-Liberty Firehouse, 256 Sprague Ave., Liberty, NY -10-4 -- Avian Health and Medicine class. 2 pm. Parrot University, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
- Lost: Greenish-yellowish female parakeet; Holbrook, NY. email@example.com -- Lost: Parakeet 'Fluffy' Milltown, NJ (732) 814-0811