From the parrot's beak: 10/25 edition
- Fugitive 'too apprehended: Dino the Goffin's cockatoo: disturber of the peace and chewer of the wooden siding on a historic former home of John F. Kennedy has been apprehended. (No information yet on if this bird is a Republican.) Marc Johnson, founder of Foster Parrots, has captured a number of escaped pet birds and said the bird should be relatively easy to catch as he had established a routine, but Dino apparently didn't read the memo and eluded several capture attempts for three months. Moreover, Dino was aided and abetted by a pair of sympathetic neighbors who would leave food out for him. Tai Ta says Dino would "eat breakfast like a noble English gentleman farmer." Moreover, Ta and partner Lien-Nhu Tran refused to assist and may have even thwarted several capture attempts because their devout Buddhist faith frowns on such trickery. Last week, a version of the old box trap was employed, using a cage with a string tied to the door and some bait. It almost worked - until a squirrel spooked Dino and he flew away. Still more recovery attempts were hatched and thwarted. Frustrated would be rescuers got into a shouting match with Ta and Lien-Nhu Tran; resulting in yet another neighbor summoning the police. Brookline Police Animal Control Officer David Cheung managed to restore order and get everyone on the same page. Yet another capture attempt was again nearly foiled by a squirrel - but not quite- the trap was sprung and Dino was caught - but the controversial cockatoo's quest was still not quite over. Tran objected to the bird being removed from the family property; another shouting match ensued and the cops were called in once again. Dino was marched back into the arms of his owner, Shawna Payne, as a tearful Tran pushed two last pieces of corn between the bars of his cage.
- Too noisy in Boise: Sherrie Blair's neighbors apparently don't appreciate the 23 exotic birds she keeps in her house and garage. Although Blair claims to never have personally heard any complaints; "I can hear them all the way down the street", "I mean I can hear it inside the house", "It's just loud", "It's constant", "It's annoying" are some of the comments people in the (formerly) quiet Boise, Idaho neighborhood are making. A code enforcement officer served her notice that she was violating a city ordinance and had 20 days to comply by reducing the flock to six or else face a $1000 fine, six months in jail or one year of probation. However, there's a catch: the code violation doesn’t mention pets - it's specifically about livestock. "These aren't livestock,” Blair protests. “These are exotics. They're expensive." Still, "I told them I was going to downsize, but it takes time," she says.“I can't just say goodbye. I'm having a rough time with this."
- Psittacine cinema: Parrot Wizard's prodigy dances to Taylor Swift: Shake It Off Parroty - Kili Swift Dancing Parrot -- Parrot Whistles Andy Griffith Theme Song -. -- Wild Parrots of Burbank, CA - YouTube -- Lullaby for a parrot www.youtube.com/watchv=tW2b1OQ2GzY -- Oliver, the parrot who likes to join his owner for her daily blow dry. www.youtube.com/watch?v=acv9Y4b2V7A
- African grey is school drop in: A school in the UK got a big surprise when an African grey flew into a classroom at the Unity Academy in Blackpool. The parrot was captured by teacher Trevor Tomes and turned over to Lynn Parkinson, a worker at UK parrot rescue Problem Parrots. "It seemed quite happy when I went to pick it up," Parkinson says. "It was whistling and saying ‘Hello!’” Parkinson fears that someone might try to claim the bird when it isn't theirs, and sell it, so she is asking the rightful owner be able to identify the African grey's leg band number and contact her through the Problem Parrots website.
- Pollytics '16: Donald Trump is "not a [male chauvinist] pig; he's a parrot," says former Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm; elaborating that what the Republican front runner says out loud is really what the Republican Party thinks behind closed doors.
- Baked Alaska: In case you were wondering,yes; they even keep parrots in the coldest, snowiest state in the USA: Alaska. "Dr. Dee, Alaska Vet" is a new program premiering on Animal Planet and early promotional ads feature her with a cockatoo, among some more conventional cold weather critters, including reindeer.
- Time to pumpkin you up: Bird patterns for pumpkin carving: http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-club/bird-fun-and-games/bird-pumpkin-carvings.aspx And save those innards and seeds for a delicious treat for youir parrot.
- Sticking with it: An older gentleman and his macaw are the first image shown in a current TV commercial. for Humana. "Whether it's one man's 24 year relationship with a parrot or.... we value sticking with things," explains the health insurance company's web site.
- Conservation news: In increasing use among parrot conservation projects is the temporary removal of chicks from wild nests, caring for them until they can fly and then releasing them where the wild flock ranges. Chicks are removed if there is a strong chance they will get poached, or are sick or underdeveloped. Belize began doing this last year with Amazon yellow-headed parrots, removing 6 chicks from the Payne’s Creek National Park under the guidance with the Toledo Institute for Development and Environment (TIDE). Chicks were cared for by the Belize Bird Rescue until a flight release cage was built in Payne’s Creek where the birds stayed until they were released.
- Missing link: If you tried to watch Barbara Heidenreich's free webinar on Training Rescued/Re-homed Parrots this weekend and couldn't, it was not an early Halloween trick. Barbara contacted the hosting company and the site is back up and running. http://www.instantpresenter.com/barbarasffat/EB56DC86884B
- Halloween parrot contest: Send your Halloween-themed parrot photo to MakeYourOwnBirdToys.com
- Early treats: The parrots of Lollypop Farm, the Humane Society if Greeater Rochester, NY enjoyed some fall-themed enrichment in the form of small pumpkins stuffed with cinnamon sticks, apple chunks, whole cranberries, grapes, starfruit and walnuts. The staff hung them on chains and the birds had the best time exploring and enjoying the treats inside.
- An all yellow sun conure is being bred in Poland.
- Rescue me: Like to help parrot rescue outfits but short on cash? The 'Haven' Parrot Rescue fund group, based in the UK, is a new fundraising group where you can donate auction items to raise much needed and vital funds for the birds that come in care at the Haven. -- Subaru of New England will donate $5 to the Massachusetts Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals for each picture of a pet that is marked with the hash tag #SNElovespets!
- Hot dates:
10/23-24: Plano, TX - 2015 Budgerigar Association of America Grand National - South Fork Hotel, 1600 N Central Expressway, Plano, TX
10/24-25: 24th Annual CT Pet Show - Connecticut Convention Center, 100 Columbus Blvd., Hartford, CT - Sat 10-6, Sun 10-4
Parrot Training Workshop with Barbara Heidenreich. Iserlohn, Germany. Hosted by Parrots Parcel. Lecture, powerpoint, video examples, live training demos and hands on training opportunities. The lecture will be presented in English with German translation available.
10/24: Halloween pet contest/parade. Prizes for spookiest costume, cutest costume, trick for a treat. 12 noon. Particpating Pet Supplies Plus locations.
Pasadena Bird Mart 9-5 Campbell Hall/Pasadena Fairgrounds 7603 Red Bluff Rd. Pasadena, TX
Toy making class. 11 a.m. Parrot University 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
10/25-11/1: 2015 Parrot Lover’s Cruise sails from New Orleans, LA
10/25: Picnic with the Parrots 2015 sponsored by So Cal Parrot.10-2 3621 Hidden Ridge Road, Jamul, CA
So you think you want a talking bird? class 2 p.m. Parrot University 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
10/29-31: "Advanced Hands-On Parrot Training Workshop" Erica (Drenthe) Netherlands. Barbara Heidenreich, Bonny Talsma and staff members of Stichting Papegaaienhulp will be there to coach you on exactly what you need to do to improve your training skills.
10/28: "WIld at Heart" part 2 PBS premiering at 8 p.m.features some of Disco's budgie buddies. Part 1, which aired last week featured the very talkative Disco.
10/31: Psychic readings for your parrot: living or deceased conducted by psychic/medium/animal communicator Laurie Blomer. Sponsored by Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals's SOAR - Special Owners of Adopted & Rescued Birds, "a community designed to help people find or place pet birds, share stories and provide coaching, advice and support to bird owners in New England and beyond." 10 am-2 pm. Nevins Farm, 400 Broadway, Methuen, MA.
Steel City Pet Expo - Monroeville Convention Center, 209 Mall Boulevard, Monroeville, PA - 9-5
From the parrot's beak Annual spooktacular edtion
Fun with food class Parrot University Pineville Town Market 321 S Polk St Pineville NC
11/1: Sex and the Single Bird class 2 pm. Parrot University Pineville Town Market 321 S Polk St Pineville NC
11/6-8: American Cockatiel Society's 38th Annual Specialty Show and
Society Of Parrot Breeders And Exhibitors 30th Annual Specialty Show Free. Public welcome.Quality Inn 151 N. Douglas Ave., Altamonte Springs, FL
11/7-8: New Jersey Family Pet Show - Garden State Convention Center, 50 Atrium Drive, Somerset, NJ - Sat 10-7, Sun 10-5
Tim Vogle's Southeastern Exotic Bird Fair - Atlanta State Farmers Market, 16 Forest Pkwy, Forest Park, GA - 9-4 pm both days
11/7: Paint like an artist and benefit Lazicki's Bird House & Rescue! Skilled instructor will demonstrate the steps to create your own version of an art piece. 12-2:30 p.m. Muse Paintbar, 117 N. Main St., Providence, RI. Visit lazibirds.org for details
Texas Bird Breeders and Fanciers Association Fall Bird Fair and Show. Longest running bird show in Texas. 9-4. Mayborn Convention Center, Temple,. TX.
Normal Avian Behavior class with Leslie Sinn, DVM. How bird behavior affects bird care. Grace Presbyterian Church, 10-12. 7434 Bath St., Springfield, VA
South Eastern Massachusetts Canary Club Annual Show - Liberal Club, 20 Star St., Fall River, MA - 10-5
- Lost: Macaw, 'Hans McCaw' Deer Park, NY. answers to the name Catch. Email firstname.lastname@example.org -- Lost: Female eclectus 'Bonita', Copiague, NY (631) 836 0419.