From the parrot's beak: 11/13 edition
- Vegan Schmegan: Lorikeets, commonly thought to thrive on a diet of pollen and plant nectar; have been discovered eating meat. An Australian man, who puts out the more conventional seed diet out to attract parrots; also puts out mince for magpies, currawongs and kookaburras. The lorikeets might have acquired a carnivorous hankering by observing these other birds. Eventually, they were even chasing their competitors away. "To see a lorikeet eating meat astonishes me completely. I have never heard of such a thing before," says Griffith University's Professor Darryl Jones. Next thing you know, these guys will be making Burger King runs.
- Psittacine cinema: Blue Parrot (Hyacinth Macaw) chases girl - YouTube
- Hole in One: Or actually several trees being made by chainsaw wielding volunteer arborists in BrunyIsland Tasmania in an attempt to encourage critically endangered swift parrots
- When I'm 64: or more. Macaws can live to 75 years of age; Amazons to 60 and even cockatiels can live to 20. A highlight of The Parrot Club's Birdie Bash in East Hartford, CT this weekend was a talk by Susan Chamberlain of the 14 Karat Parrot about planning forparrot care as we age - and beyond.
- Pollytics '16: Election '16 is in the rear window, much to the relief of many; but one pre-election editorial cartoon stands out. It depicts a bird's body with Donald Trump's head; barfing into the mouths of a nest of Trumplings. And apparently there were a lot more Trumplings than most of the pollsters and pundits expected.
- Beak Talk: The annual "Bird Talk" magazine for 2017 is now on the stands.The once monthly publication became yearly in 2012 after 30 years of publication/ Like many other print publications, it may have been a victim of the Internet and its easy accessibility to information,
- Doctor, Doctor; Give me the News: Proventricular dilatation disease (PDD) caused by Avian Bornavirus is one of the most lethal diseases in parrots. However, there is new hope. “Proventricular Dilatation disease is an especially nasty infection that kills large numbers of captive birds each year,” said Dr. Ian Tizard, the head of a research team. “Parrot owners are naturally very distressed when their beloved pet dies in such a manner. The new vaccine is expected to stop the development of this disease and prevent much suffering.”
- Quote o' the week: Your argument is invalid because I am louder. - a parrot's perspective from a Facebook meme.
- Bedtime stories: "This is what happens when you don't move fast enough around bedtime in this house: OK? Sleepy time? Sleepy time for baby birdie boys! OK? Sleepy time! - wolf whistle. My Hahn's Macaw sternly and repeatedly says 'Wanna go nite nite' when she is ready for bed. As I cover her she says, 'Be a good girl, ok? Nite nite.'" - from a Facebook posting. Another writes, "That's like Rusty (Philippine blue naped parrot)... 'Sleepy time?' Then as you cover him he often says, 'Good night, Rusty buster. I love you.'
- Back to the Future: Have you missed a previous edition of "From the Parrot's beak"? Past issues can be seen on the Facebook page, Pet Bird Owners.
- Hot Dates: 11/11-13: American Federation of Ornithology 1st National C.O.M. Show - German American Social Club, 11919 SW 56th St., Miami, FL - open to public Sun 9-12 -- Step-Up Advanced Workshop, Phoenix Landing, Alexander, NC
11/12-13: Atlanta Pet Expo - Georgia International Convention Center, 2000 Convention Center Concourse, Atlanta, GA - Sat 10-5, Sun 11-4 --
11/12: Birdie Bash Speakers include Susan Chamberlain of 14 Karat Parrot on caring for your pet as you age- and after you're gone. Vendors, refreshments, live birds (nonmembers of Connecticut's The Parrot Club, please leave your birds at home.) Admission $5 (under 12 free) 10-4 Veterans Memorial Clubhouse Admission 100 Sunset Ridge Drive, East Hartford, CT -- Toy Making class. Parrot University.11 am, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC-- Parrot’s Point of View class, Phoenix Landing. Millersville, MD
11/13: Positive Reinforcement class. Parrot University. 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
11/14-15: Rhode Island Pet Show - Rhode Island Convention Center, 1 Sabin St., Providence, RI - Sat 10-6, Sun 10-5
11/16: Long Island Parrot Society meeting special event: book party and signing with Laurie Hess, DVM, Dip. ABVP, author of "Unlikely Companions"! The program includes an "Ask the Vet" Q&A with Dr. Hess. r!
11/19: No Place Like Home class Alexander, NC Phoenix Landing
- Lost: Pineapple green cheek conure 'Carly' Oyster Bay NY. Email : email@example.com -- Lost: Male cockatiel 'Johnny' Hicksville, NY. (516) 949-9566 -- Found: Umbrella cockatoo. Speaks, affectionate. Bronx, NY..(917) 306-9563/(718) 671-1834